Splitcane rod repairs

PeterHenry

Hi all,

I've just acquired a nice Allcocks President Splitcane boat rod. An obsolete peice of equipment as you can find - but lovely enough all the same.

Upon inspection, and after handing over the minimal amount of money (about the equivalent of x2 decent pints in central Birmingham) I have found a hairline crack in the second section of the rod. 

While i don't plan on using it as an everyday rod, I would like to use it sometime - so, has anyone in the know go any ideas how or who i would approch?

Best,

Peter

20210530_140044_compress99.jpg

20210530_140204(0)_compress89.jpg

20210530_140206_compress87.jpg

20210530_140113_compress55.jpg

6 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I wouldn't unless I could suitably fill it. Being cane I think it could weaken it.

I was thinking that an aircraft flexes and a crack is stop drilled to prevent it extending further and then the area is reinforced with a patch - the whipping being the rod reinforcement. (Obviously I'm only talking a minor defect that does not require any damage/ cracks to be cut out and an insert/patch repair being necessary.)

Thanks for all the replies - I'm not convinced I'm practical enough to be sure of fixing it myself. But after thinking about it, I'd rather pay and let someone who knows what they are doing deal with it. Although its probably not worth that much in the grand scheme of things, it's a nice rod and it would be a shame to see it either broken or go to waste.

i have a small stream rod which i use from time to time..........made of greenheart...by Forrest&Son..Kelso.........in about 1898..........

i would force the crack open using stanley knife blades....feed in some super glue............clamp it..........then apply 3 whips and laquer........

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

I was thinking that an aircraft flexes and a crack is stop drilled to prevent it extending further and then the area is reinforced with a patch - the whipping being the rod reinforcement. (Obviously I'm only talking a minor defect that does not require any damage/ cracks to be cut out and an insert/patch repair being necessary.)

I was just thinking that a rod is too narrow, no experience of drilling cane, but I can't argue with your theory and practice. 

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

i have a small stream rod which i use from time to time..........made of greenheart...by Forrest&Son..Kelso.........in about 1898..........

i would force the crack open using stanley knife blades....feed in some super glue............clamp it..........then apply 3 whips and laquer........

What Simon  says . Try and find some whipping thread same size and colour and learn how  to do a whip finish  and clear varnish the thread . 

Try you tube . Done quite  a few re ringing rods over the years . 

On 30/05/2021 at 16:11, ditchman said:

Forrest of Kelso, used to go in there up until it closed down, Trevor Black was the man at the time. Still have a cartridge with Forrest on it.

20 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

Forrest of Kelso, used to go in there up until it closed down, Trevor Black was the man at the time. Still have a cartridge with Forrest on it.

i have 2 salmon rods by Forrest...and a Lake rod and stream rod by Forrest........the salmon rods are mighty beasts......you would need to be Jeff Capes to spey cast with them..

31 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

They are really nice, well worth framing. See you have the spike for sticking in ground with them  :good:

i have cleaned them up since the pics were taken....very fine wet and dry then super fine cabinate makers wire wool polished all the metal work up and laquered them...so they look pristine............

when they were first made these type of rods would have been left in the coachhouse or stables...so they could absorb moisture...if they were too dry like now they would snap very easily.........

On 30/05/2021 at 14:34, Centrepin said:

Pictures not loading due to poor signal here, but, if it's not terminal then squeeze in some wood glue, whip tightly over with decent whipping thread, dope it then varnish over. 

Hello, as above would be my thoughts to, if you decide to drill a hole either side it would need to be needle size then try and get the glue in the hair line crack and holes, leave to dry, whip the length past the tiny holes with a suitable rod thread, a coat of Dope, and finish with cane rod varnish, it will leave a new finish so you could use wet and dry on the other areas but not the ring thread or other thread, then give rod a complete coat of varnish, let us know how you get on , cheers

Just now, PeterHenry said:

Those are absolutly stunning

arnt they nice......when i have finished them off and put the other wooden trout reels with them (one of the lads on here gifted me some reels)...they will look lovely on a framed baize display...........cant make my mind up what colour ...dark blue or dark green......

Just by way of an update - I've chickend out of doing the repair myself, and have dropped the rod in to Foxons in St Asaph, who are going to see what they can do.

For anyone who's intrested - and shamessely pinched from another forum / apparently taken from the Allcocks 1938 catalog - 

'Short casting rods... we supply to the American and Canadian markets. . They are suitable as ordinary light spinning rods for pike, salmon or big trout, and make good boat rods for salt or freshwater fishing.

C3413 The "President." 2 - joint, built cane, solid cork handle, porcelain bridge rings, bronzed ferrules, sliding reel fitting, rubber button, partitioned bag, 6 feet, weight (approx.) 6 1/2 ozs., 26/6. 7 feet weight (approx.) 11 1/2 ozs., 31/- each'

I'm going to look forward to using it with a centerpin in the margins for carp

51 minutes ago, PeterHenry said:

Just by way of an update - I've chickend out of doing the repair myself, and have dropped the rod in to Foxons in St Asaph, who are going to see what they can do.

For anyone who's intrested - and shamessely pinched from another forum / apparently taken from the Allcocks 1938 catalog - 

'Short casting rods... we supply to the American and Canadian markets. . They are suitable as ordinary light spinning rods for pike, salmon or big trout, and make good boat rods for salt or freshwater fishing.

C3413 The "President." 2 - joint, built cane, solid cork handle, porcelain bridge rings, bronzed ferrules, sliding reel fitting, rubber button, partitioned bag, 6 feet, weight (approx.) 6 1/2 ozs., 26/6. 7 feet weight (approx.) 11 1/2 ozs., 31/- each'

I'm going to look forward to using it with a centerpin in the margins for carp

now thats the style .....purist :good:

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

arnt they nice......when i have finished them off and put the other wooden trout reels with them (one of the lads on here gifted me some reels)...they will look lovely on a framed baize display...........cant make my mind up what colour ...dark blue or dark green......

I have a gun case that was re-fitted/ re-lined in dark green and it looks very nice - but I'd probably end up going for dark blue with fishing rods in the end if I had to decide.

10 hours ago, ditchman said:

now thats the style .....purist :good:

That's a very generous description - the other one is 'mad'

4 minutes ago, PeterHenry said:

I have a gun case that was re-fitted/ re-lined in dark green and it looks very nice - but I'd probably end up going for dark blue with fishing rods in the end if I had to decide.

That's a very generous description - the other one is 'mad'

just trying to think of the centrepin reel you would use..........think its called "The ariel"...........perhaps someone could check