Barclaycard Cheques

LEFTY478

Right, hope this topic isn't too obscure but I am wondering if any other members have experience of this.

A few days ago I got a letter (typical junk mail shot) from Barclaycard. Normally I only open them to remove the name and address bit, which then gets shreaded. Anyway, this time something caught my eye and so I started to read it.

The nuts and bolts of it are; they would like to give me up to £10,000 @ a fixed 0.9% until January 2009. The letter includes a write yourself cheque which it seems to claim can be used for any purpose. ie this could be put into savings account - I've found 6.4% gross (about 5.12% nett) fixed for a year. Assuming I took the cash by the end of the month, I could have the capital in a deposit a/c for 15 months before settling the outstanding balance by 31 Dec 2008. The minimun payments would start at about 56 days later ie in November @ appx £500 falling to around £287 towards the end and the outstanding balance would be increased by about 0.08% (0.9%/12 months x 1 month) I think.

Can't say I usually believe in there being any 'free' lunches but, I think I stand to make about £570* nett although I'm not very bright and may well be wrong. Are the any Carole Vorderman types out there that can advise?

*assuming the min payment are met from my salary, not from the invested capital.

I`d be looking at the small print V V closely, does it mention the rate being variable at all ?

No, it says it a 'fixed rate'.

and is there any fixed fee payable, There are occasionally good deals with barclaycard. I've had a 2.9% for the life of the balance running about 4 years now B)

It says no fees or handling charges. If I was using it for paying off another credit card balance (which I'm not) the other lender may charge a transfer fee.

I have a MBNA credit card and they send out a similar thing about four times a year.

I understood that the cheques are to be used to pay off other credit/charge cards you may have and the balance transfers to your credit card, at an advantageous rate for a fixed period.

They are gambling on you not being able to clear the new balance on your credit card before the end of the "advantageous " period.

Thereby increasing your indebtedness to them.

I don't think you can go and put it in a savings account, but it would be interesting to try.

It sounds good mate. These things can be done if you look into it. Like its been said, they are banking on you blowing it on a new motor.

Its also possible to get one of those offset mortgages, take the money and bank it, then not pay mortgage interest on it.

theres also a scam on the balance transfers that you see on the credit card adverts- egg,mint etc. I dont know it precisely

It sounds good mate. These things can be done if you look into it. Like its been said, they are banking on you blowing it on a new motor.

Its also possible to get one of those offset mortgages, take the money and bank it, then not pay mortgage interest on it.

theres also a scam on the balance transfers that you see on the credit card adverts- egg,mint etc. I dont know it precisely

I did something similar and bought £10k of premium bonds.

Not sure if it was worth the aggro (it would have been had I won the jackpot though).

Thinking about it, it might hammer your credit rating as it will log on Equifax / Experion as an undischarged balance of over £xk for 12 months.

Lefty, it is probably all that it seems but there will be the enevitable loophole as there always is.

i.e. one late payment, no matter what the circumstances, and the rate will change bigtime.

Lots of my friends got caught with the mortgate change fad a few years ago and a few have suffered badly.

LB