New knee jerk reaction - ban pump actions!

Will H

39 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Wrong wrong and wrong… check your facts.

There was a change in the law as all pumps even with short barrels had to be ‘cannon rayé’ which is rifled. Then the law changed to longer 24” barrels 

Smooth bore and those with barrels less than 24” (61cm) are able to be held on category B1 which would be like us and our FAC.

This isn’t the first time that you have incorrectly made a statement about the French and their laws! 

Here is a translation from a French Gunshop that I used to use:

‘Choose your shotgun for hunting:
 The regulations allow the purchase of a shotgun with a hunting license or a shooting license for a rifle of 5 shots maximum with a 61 cm barrel as well as a total length greater than 80 cm with a rifled barrel. You can  use different hunting or shooting ammunition (skirted or greasy wad, shot or ball) but also non-lethal cartridges such as gum-cognes.’

https://www.meyson.fr/c/214-fusils-a-pompe

Really? Not this then? I am not referring to rifled barrel pump action shotguns which here in the UK are classed as s5.

Ainsi, il est à noté que le fusil à pompe d'ancienne génération équipé d'un canon lisse est toujours interdit à la vente et à la détention en dehors d'une autorisation préfectorale de détention pour une arme de 4ème catégorie. Ceux qui avaient donc caché leur vieux fusil à pompe dans le grenier ne peuvent donc pas le ressortir et en avoir l'usage sans s'exposer à des sanction pénales relativement lourdes.( jusqu'à 3 ans de prison).

However it is noted that the pump action shotgun of the traditional type with a smooth bore barrel is always prohobited form sale or possession without an Prefectorial Authorisation Permit for a 4th Category weapon. Therefore those who have hidden their old pump action shotguns in their attic would not be able to bring them out to use them without putting themselves at risk of fairly severe penalty (of up to three years imprisonment).

So I assume from the below that a traditional smooth bore pump action shotgun is now Category B 2f for which I have been told permits are not now routinely granted thus de facto prohibited.

Edited by enfieldspares

19 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Really? Not this then?

Ainsi, il est à noté que le fusil à pompe d'ancienne génération équipé d'un canon lisse est toujours interdit à la vente et à la détention en dehors d'une autorisation préfectorale de détention pour une arme de 4ème catégorie. Ceux qui avaient donc caché leur vieux fusil à pompe dans le grenier ne peuvent donc pas le ressortir et en avoir l'usage sans s'exposer à des sanction pénales relativement lourdes.( jusqu'à 3 ans de prison).

Think you need to update your searches or do a little bit more research. Also check my posting where I stated that they could be held as smoothbore on category B1 ( in fact it’s category B2- I was B1 and B2 but I left there in 2016 for my B2 and in 2020 for my B1 pistols so I apologise for mixing the two)

The previous categories that your snippet relates too, were changed around 2015 to conform to the European classification directive. 

So, even today pumps are permitted- general category ‘C’ but only with a rifles barrel. Non rifled barrel or rifled barrel shorter than 24” is category B2.

I really hope this puts this one to bed as that’s where I should be now too 😉

Thank you. So this B 2 f is now out of date then?

Article R. 311-2

Version en vigueur depuis le 10 février 2022

II. Armes de catégorie B

Les armes soumises à autorisation pour l'acquisition et la détention, qui relèvent de la catégorie B, sont les suivantes:

f) A répétition à canon lisse munies d'un dispositif de rechargement à pompe;

Edited by enfieldspares

13 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Thank you. So this B 2 f is now out of date then?

Article R. 311-2

Version en vigueur depuis le 10 février 2022

II. Armes de catégorie B

Les armes soumises à autorisation pour l'acquisition et la détention, qui relèvent de la catégorie B, sont les suivantes:

f) A répétition à canon lisse munies d'un dispositif de rechargement à pompe;

From the horses mouth- lisse it seems are still in cat B

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F2250

• 2 weeks later...

From the Shooting UK website.

Move to ban pump-action shotguns fails

Labour MP Luke Pollard introduced a private members bill in an attempt to restrict pump-action shotguns after the tragic shootings in his Plymouth constituency last year. The bill was debated as a ‘ten minute rule’ bill which strictly limits the amount of parliamentary time allotted to a proposed law.

Introducing the bill, Pollard said: “I want to rid our communities of these dangerous and unnecessary pump-action weapons that are currently held in homes throughout the country.”

The proposed bill would have restricted the storage of pump-action shotguns so that they could not be stored in the owner’s home. Bill Harriman, BASC director of firearms, said: “The Plymouth shooting was a horrific tragedy. However, it is only right that no knee-jerk reactions are made before the coroner’s review and the Independent Office for Police Conduct report are published.

“BASC has met Luke Pollard following the Plymouth murders. There is a firm commitment from both sides that the correct actions are taken to reduce the risk of another tragedy happening. There is also an acceptance that the risk is in the person holding the firearm, not the firearm itself. Any response to this incident must be evidence-led.”

The rules for the introduction of 10 minute rule bills are extremely arcane and can involve MPs sleeping outside a key parliamentary office in order to be the first to register a bill on a specific day. Ten minute rule bills rarely become law as they are normally viewed as low priority legislation and are often opposed by the government, this leads to them running out of time.

In a brief statement the Home Office, whose support would almost certainly have been required for the bill to be come law, declined to back the bill with a spokesperson saying, “The police have in place robust processes for issuing and reviewing firearms and shotgun licenses. If there are further lessons to be learned from the tragic case, we will update the statutory guidance for firearms licensing.”