Fiocchi buys Express

5 minutes ago, deershooter said:

When super comps were first made they were brilliant then they went off look at the difference yet they never changed the name three different wads two different head heights ,original powder was grey not green 

7C74E5FC-89AB-4382-9DBB-C6A247C0CAF8.jpeg

Yep - if it’s not consistent and trustworthy…..?!

I moved on to Eley Superbs when they started messing about with Supercomps. Still like the Superbs a lot, but I’m finding that the Fiocchi FBlues are very similar and less money.

17 hours ago, Scully said:

The only cartridge I’ve experienced a wad stuck in a barrel, was Gamebore White Gold. I won’t buy them again but only because they’re a very dirty cartridge in my experience. Otherwise I’m a Gamebore fan. I used a lot of Blue Diamond when I shot a lot of clays, and their Clear Pigeon was my go to cartridge for bolting bunnies and decoying, both superseded by Eley cartridges now. 

My son swears by Blue diamond in 28gram and 32gram clear pigeon. Unfortunately almost nowhere in the country has blue diamond in stock currently. 

I bought 1000 white gold cheaply about 2 or 3 years back from a chap on here, some plaswad but mostly fibre but in 8s & 9s. The few I've used I found to be very dirty.

Funny thing, choice of cartridges.

1985, DIY shoot where each shoot we shot 40-60 good driven pheasants off Derbyshire hillsides. It was agreed by all ten guns that we would bulk purchase cartridges between all of us. I got the job of sourcing the cartridges and bought my usual (at the time) Eley Impax 1oz No.6. 
Seven of the ten guns moaned about the cartridge choice all season. 
The shot load was too light for the higher pheasants. 
The shot was the wrong size. 
They were too low on velocity. 
The patterns were obviously no good because they couldn’t hit pheasants with them. 
They were orange, not red. 
Etc, etc, etc. 
Strange really, because they certainly worked just fine from Peter’s BSA, from Fred’s Churchill and from my old Rosson, pulling down the best birds on the shoot with almost monotonous regularity.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Eley Impax 1oz No.6. 

The patterns were obviously no good because they couldn’t hit pheasants with them. 

A good load is a well patterning ounce of English #6. Hull's equivalent were probably better though! And in a red coloured cartridge case! Gough Thomas thought highly of that shot charge and size combination. He writes as such in his books.

The only caveat iId have against an ounce of #6 is that it maybe in an open choked gun has too many gaps if shooting woodcock as part of the bag. Other than that if held straight and the pellets are of good consistent size and roundness it's a killer.

3 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

A good load is a well patterning ounce of English #6. Hull's equivalent were probably better though! And in a red coloured cartridge case! Gough Thomas thought highly of that shot charge and size combination. He writes as such in his books.

The only caveat iId have against an ounce of #6 is that it maybe in an open choked gun has too many gaps if shooting woodcock as part of the bag. Other than that if held straight and the pellets are of good consistent size and roundness it's a killer.

But, apparently, not for seven out of our ten!

The misses could only be the fault of the cartridges.

10 hours ago, London Best said:

1985, DIY shoot where each shoot we shot 40-60 good driven pheasants off Derbyshire hillsides. It was agreed by all ten guns that we would bulk purchase cartridges between all of us. I got the job of sourcing the cartridges and bought my usual (at the time) Eley Impax 1oz No.6. 
Seven of the ten guns moaned about the cartridge choice all season. 
They were orange, not red. 
Etc, etc, etc. 
Strange really, because they certainly worked just fine from Peter’s BSA, from Fred’s Churchill and from my old Rosson, pulling down the best birds on the shoot with almost monotonous regularity.

You bad bad man. 

I shoot an old Wilkinson of Pall Mall boxlock ejector made in 1908 it loves Impax 1 ounce loads.      

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/04/2022 at 11:55, Newbie to this said:

Hopefully they will keep the UK manufacturing going.

But if BICC is anything to go by, when Pirelli bought them, they stripped the factory of anything of worth and shut it down, I know it's not cartridge manufacturing, but....

Real shame - my first job (YTS) was at the group training office in Prescot - lots of years ago

Met and filmed Fred Dibnah when he was taking down a chimney - I think it was by the Bath Springs

Back then BICC was Prescot....