Section 7's are a pain

7 minutes ago, McSpredder said:

Not unexpected, a TIGHTCHOKE points out, but where is the logic behind it?

A newcomer to shooting gets a certificate for five years from the date on which the FEO has completed all necessary checks.   Why shouldn’t the same apply in the case of a renewal, provided the forms were submitted in good time?

Have any of the shooting organisations ever campaigned for the back-dating policy to be changed?

I would hazard a guess at it being as simple as the authorities not wanting to give anything away for free.

Shooting organisations don't challenge anything, they just sell us down the river.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

I could understand you moaning if you had been without your guns since January...........but you haven’t.

Not moaning as such but more of why are they backdated on my previous renewals I have lost time the previous renewal too this one licence exp in the March but they visited me in the January so I lost 2months there 

3 hours ago, McSpredder said:

Not unexpected, a TIGHTCHOKE points out, but where is the logic behind it?

You want logic from large ponderous local government organisations???

You're having a laugh matey.

These same organisations are the ones that feel the need to spend our money giving people training courses on how to safely use something as simple as a 2 step step ladder. Then bar there employees from using them and get an outside contractor in to change a light bulb. 

Logic, who needs logic when you're depending other people's money 🤣🤣

46 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

The extensions are in the belief the licence would be renewed, so keeps the anniversary of the original certificate. Extensions are not free months, and have never claimed to be, so I am not sure why it's a massive surprise.

Plus.....there is the issue that if there is a date gap between expiry of old and receipt of new licence, you were not formally covered during that time gap !!  

1 hour ago, stockybasher said:

Plus.....there is the issue that if there is a date gap between expiry of old and receipt of new licence, you were not formally covered during that time gap !!  

Actually that's not quite true. S7 itself is lawful reason:

7Police permit.

(1)A person who has obtained from the chief officer of police for the area in which he resides a permit for the purpose in the prescribed form may, without holding a certificate under this Act, have in his possession a firearm and ammunition in accordance with the terms of the permit.

9 hours ago, HantsRob said:

That won’t be the same team or office. Also FPNs have that timeline in law, so they’re duty bound. 
What you need is a friendly shooting organisation to pin the police to an SLA!

Mmmmmm? A shootig organisation willing to actually fight for it's members? Nope - nothing springs to mind.

• 2 weeks later...