Hmm European Bison in Kent

islandgun

1 hour ago, Sweet11-87 said:

It’s exhausting in here somtimes. Nobody said get Rid of all farms and make everything woodland  it’s about balance and moderation.  We currently have the lowest percentage of woodland in Europe at about 10-15% and naturally that should be over 80% but that’s never going to happen as it’s unrealistic and the country would be uninhabitable but transferring farm land to managed woodland only by a few extra percent is worth while timber as a sustainable recourse can be quite profitable and if it’s not then I’m sure the land owners will be subsidised jus t like they are for live stock and arable land at times. 

Balance and moderation not words I've EVER heard from the re-wilders, vegan, climate crisis folk. As an aside Ive planted nearly a half of my land to trees [SRC willow] also made a small wetland and grow cereal crops which I leave standing for the Corn buntings etc, but then again I only have 2 hectares 😄. Im not sure what timber you would see planted other than conifers to bring in any returns. It would be better to grow good thick hedgerows or go into Agroforestry.  I read recently that they are using highland cattle to open up woodland in the Cairngorms, I know Highlands roam over vast areas in pursuit of food or a warm place to sleep, [they do on our common grazing anyway] why not use them instead of importing Bison, at least you can eat cattle.  You would do well to have a chat with Nuke [above] about the benefits or otherwise of large predators in the eco-system

I would also add that I spent several years employed in Mink trapping, so have first hand knowledge of what an "unintentional" introduction of a small predator can have on an eco-system

Edited by islandgun

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

But there not 

introduce a beaver it’ll take down the trees and flood up stream land 

can I ask you how many acres of your own land you are putting into the scheme 

Well 2 sides to an argument make a health debate and clearly I’m in the minority on this one and that’s fair enough. But I still think it’s a good thing 

however no I’m not putting in any acres into this scheme. I think that as long as farming is subsidised with billions of pounds of tax payers money then tax payers are entitled to an opinion. I’m in no way undermining the work of farmers or the importance of farming I just think balance is the key I don’t think complete woodland cover or farming every last inch of available land is the answer 

8 minutes ago, Sweet11-87 said:

Well 2 sides to an argument make a health debate and clearly I’m in the minority on this one and that’s fair enough. But I still think it’s a good thing 

however no I’m not putting in any acres into this scheme. I think that as long as farming is subsidised with billions of pounds of tax payers money then tax payers are entitled to an opinion. I’m in no way undermining the work of farmers or the importance of farming I just think balance is the key I don’t think complete woodland cover or farming every last inch of available land is the answer 

fully understand your opinion and your entitled to your views based upon your experience and life 

Well I am putting land but not voluntarily and that’s probably the reason I have a different view 

I currently stand to loose 10 acres of summer grazing (water meadows) to permanently flooded swamp plus all the trees I’ve planted out of my pocket will probably get gnawed down or at best just drowned 

and will have to build a bridge to access a further 15 acres of hay field winter grazing 

I also don’t get any tax payers money or subsidies 

Then I’ll have to cope with the massive amounts of extra people and there rubbish tromping over everything hoping to see one 

I honestly believe that the impact on the countryside will be far worse 

5 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

fully understand your opinion and your entitled to your views based upon your experience and life 

Well I am putting land but not voluntarily and that’s probably the reason I have a different view 

I currently stand to loose 10 acres of summer grazing (water meadows) to permanently flooded swamp plus all the trees I’ve planted out of my pocket will probably get gnawed down or at best just drowned 

and will have to build a bridge to access a further 15 acres of hay field winter grazing 

I also don’t get any tax payers money or subsidies 

Then I’ll have to cope with the massive amounts of extra people and there rubbish tromping over everything hoping to see one 

I honestly believe that the impact on the countryside will be far worse 

In this instance I fully understand your frustration then. And I think it’s wrong thst you’re not being compensated for this. As much as I think on the whole it’s better I don’t agree that the financial burden should fall on individuals like yourself.  

9 minutes ago, Sweet11-87 said:

In this instance I fully understand your frustration then. And I think it’s wrong thst you’re not being compensated for this. As much as I think on the whole it’s better I don’t agree that the financial burden should fall on individuals like yourself.  

Thank you for your thoughts I’ll upload a before and after for you 

obviously all the barn owls that hunted have moved on probably to a sanctuary 

sorry the pictures aren’t taken from the same spot but I didn’t want wet feet 

had to screen shot video apology for poor quality 

716B1B8B-95EA-43B4-9BB7-1BF09D1A9E5A.png

353C1544-8713-497F-AE19-CF281B2D46AA.png

Edited by Old farrier

4 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Thank you for your thoughts I’ll upload a before and after for you 

obviously all the barn owls that hunted have moved on probably to a sanctuary 

sorry the pictures aren’t taken from the same spot but I didn’t want wet feet 

had to screen shot video apology for poor quality 

716B1B8B-95EA-43B4-9BB7-1BF09D1A9E5A.png

353C1544-8713-497F-AE19-CF281B2D46AA.png

Feel for you there O.F have you got any rare wild flowers in your water meadows, breeding lapwing,  anything ! God knows proper watermeadows are a rarity enough [most have been built on] without permanent flooding...... vandalism 

1 minute ago, islandgun said:

Feel for you there O.F have you got any rare wild flowers in your water meadows, breeding lapwing,  anything ! God knows proper watermeadows are a rarity enough [most have been built on] without permanent flooding...... vandalism 

Used to have they don’t live long underwater 

should add neither do the insects glow worms or crickets 

I broke umpteen law’s moving the orchids probably going to jail for that most seem to have survived in there relocation 🙄