Dropping shot.

So today while wife went shopping I had an hour dropping shot.

useing the New Zealand 110 volt m/c (thank you David) set up with the Lee pot melting lead and experimenting with what to drop into.

fabric conditioner made shootable shot, but best was into Engine oil, about an inch on top of water and it's as good as shop bought but cheaper.

i know its a beggar to clean but chuffed with end results, cutting Maize tomorrow so 5/8 ounce in 410 will see how it performes.

😊👍🇬🇧🇬🇧

7 hours ago, snarepeg said:

So today while wife went shopping I had an hour dropping shot.

useing the New Zealand 110 volt m/c (thank you David) set up with the Lee pot melting lead and experimenting with what to drop into.

fabric conditioner made shootable shot, but best was into Engine oil, about an inch on top of water and it's as good as shop bought but cheaper.

i know its a beggar to clean but chuffed with end results, cutting Maize tomorrow so 5/8 ounce in 410 will see how it performes.

😊👍🇬🇧🇬🇧

An inch of engine oil on top of water was what my dad used to use.

Used to wash it it in industrial cleaning solution, but can't recall what it was.

When I think of some of the shot I have made over the last 65 years,the good,the bad,and the ugly and how it performed at the time, the bad and the ugly killed their fair share.

haleys comet had competition with tail length, 

even the wife commented on it when she came in😊👍

2 hours ago, snarepeg said:

When I think of some of the shot I have made over the last 65 years,the good,the bad,and the ugly and how it performed at the time, the bad and the ugly killed their fair share.

Blimey, and I thought I was old, :) what age were you when you started making your own shot?

1 hour ago, snarepeg said:

Yes, still active, and no stick.

not as slim😳 Not as energetic, hair couloir different but still got it👍

Great to hear, some stories over the years I bet. I'm 37 now, but a firm believer in use it or lose it. Try to be active at all times!

4 hours ago, snarepeg said:

Funny how you mentioned shot string/tail length, remember reading an article in the shooting times back in the 70s, it was written by Gough Thomas, he did some trials with deformed shot and shot of different sizes, he found that using such shot made the string/tail a lot longer, giving more chance of the target flying/running through it, might be time to re-look at such loads?

Yes.

remember Gough Thomas articles in shooting times, also the amount of rabbits we had.

pre mixie1953, never thought they would make it back but they did.

VHD, some have rabbits and some/most none to talk about it doesn't take prisoners, but hope they do make it back, nothing nicer than bolted rabbits to a 410/28/20/16/12.🇬🇧

On 09/09/2022 at 13:47, old'un said:

Funny how you mentioned shot string/tail length, remember reading an article in the shooting times back in the 70s, it was written by Gough Thomas, he did some trials with deformed shot and shot of different sizes, he found that using such shot made the string/tail a lot longer, giving more chance of the target flying/running through it, might be time to re-look at such loads?

I broke open some of the last of my dad's home loads after he had passed. Some of the shot was pear shaped and very little truly spherical.

He often with a Full Choke Baikal knock down two geese at once (not always dead) side by side but both the shot string and pattern if we could have recorded it then must have been something to see....

30 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

I broke open some of the last of my dad's home loads after he had passed. Some of the shot was pear shaped and very little truly spherical.

He often with a Full Choke Baikal knock down two geese at once (not always dead) side by side but both the shot string and pattern if we could have recorded it then must have been something to see....

30 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Had some geese many years ago  coming towards me, (Browning  auto)

removed 2 home loads leaving one in and inserted 2 Eley alpha max BB and fired at 30 yards, both alpha max missed, the follow up home home load with pear drop shot didn't. Happy days.😊👍

30 minutes ago, aberisle said:

here is a video that i made of  dripping bismuth shot

Looks good, don't forget the shape coming out of the muzzle isn't what it started at.

its all in the mind the perfect shape, don't think about it not performing as good, it could be better😊👍🇬🇧