Snowden update

terence

In August put a topic on about snowden walked it yesterday went up pyg track and down miners track some amaseing views with decent weather till we got to top then low cloud and light rain couldent see anything didint see any litter or mess loads of walkers with dogs spoke to 3 young girls on way down looked like they where going clubing they wanted to know how far it was to top and how long it would take told them no disco up there a great day and sence off achivement

2 hours 50 up 2 hours 40 down wanted to do it in 2 hours 30 but mate was strugling a bit

Nice one, shame about the lack of views at the summit. I went up in January after some snow, it was -16 with the windchill at the top, people up there in trainers and leggings with bare skin exposed that looked red raw! I don't know what some of these people are thinking when they go up ill equipped . On the way down we came across a man that had fallen from above the Pyg track ended up below the track further down hitting his head on a rock. The helo came to rescue him, not sure of the outcome but I believe he was ok. It is great to see it all white with snow, I really wanted to get back this summer and go across Crib Goch. 

I used to run up and down every time I was in the area many years ago as a youngster and serving soldier.

Took my wife and kids on the train and walked down as I became older. Last time I ran it was around 96 with my son before he joined the Army. Doubt I could walk onto the train now.

If you like a challenge try Tryfan, more challenging but a better sense of achievement, still with fantastic views. Tryfan was the first time my son had ever looked down on clouds and I still remember the look on his face, he was about 10 at the time. 

4 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I used to run up and down every time I was in the area many years ago as a youngster and serving soldier.

Took my wife and kids on the train and walked down as I became older. Last time I ran it was around 96 with my son before he joined the Army. Doubt I could walk onto the train now.

If you like a challenge try Tryfan, more challenging but a better sense of achievement, still with fantastic views. Tryfan was the first time my son had ever looked down on clouds and I still remember the look on his face, he was about 10 at the time. 

This was my first time on a proper hike mate wasent as fit as he thought he was so it was at his pace he wants to do scarr fell pyke next spring going to pick some walks out inbetween he thought walking round village green was enougth training he strugled but did it

2 minutes ago, terence said:

This was my first time on a proper hike mate wasent as fit as he thought he was so it was at his pace he wants to do scarr fell pyke next spring going to pick some walks out inbetween he thought walking round village green was enougth training he strugled but did it

Well done then, good choice for a first outing as there's always someone around on Snowden if you're struggling. 

I've only ever done Scafell in the snow strangely enough but at least you'll not meet anyone in high heels or pushing perambulators on there - maybe?

51 minutes ago, terence said:

We use an app called alltrails https://www.alltrails.com/   vey good for building up your hiking fitness as all the trails are graded and you can submit your own route. Even alerts you if you stray off the path.

On 16/09/2022 at 08:39, Scrimshanker said:

Nice one, shame about the lack of views at the summit. I went up in January after some snow, it was -16 with the windchill at the top, people up there in trainers and leggings with bare skin exposed that looked red raw! I don't know what some of these people are thinking when they go up ill equipped . On the way down we came across a man that had fallen from above the Pyg track ended up below the track further down hitting his head on a rock. The helo came to rescue him, not sure of the outcome but I believe he was ok. It is great to see it all white with snow, I really wanted to get back this summer and go across Crib Goch. 

One February we were digging snow holes and tunnels through the ridge cornice's near the cafe. There were horizontal icicles off the railings (the old cafe) that were at least two feet long. The sky was blue and the sun was out it was quite a surreal place.