Pigeon Therapy

Clodhopper

Saturday was the first time I had managed to get out in a very long time. 

Having kindly been invited along by the generous JDog, 3 of us met up to see what a disced Bean stubble had to offer. It soon became apparent that there were a large number of birds using the 3 stubble fields but as always seems to be the case, they favoured a field that was practically impossible to shoot due to the wind direction and the close proximity of 2 very busy public footpaths.

The cunning plan was to set up a banger on the difficult field and shoot the adjacent field which had a weaker line but should offer some sport. We looked at the options of splitting up but decided to shoot over the same pattern, JDog and myself sharing a hide and Jacko 40 yards away, with the two hides either side of a favoured sitty tree. No doubt splitting up would have produced more shooting but the leg pulling and general banter was too tempting to miss.   

It was obvious from the start it was going to be difficult, the wind kept swirling from being on our left to nearly in our faces and the main line was heading to the other field.  On the occasions when the wind was from the left the birds decoyed reasonably well but as it moved they just couldn’t get in and drifted by, just out of range. The banger did it’s job and periodically sent birds our way. As the pattern grew with more dead birds (and lots of shots to get them) we managed to draw increased interest from the passing line. Jacko  in particular shot some absolute crackers which certainly provided the pick me up he needed after a difficult week.

The lines fizzled out after about 3 hours shooting. A rather long pick up ensued as JDog and Barney did as full lap of the field looking for a couple of pricked birds that had dropped some way off.

The final tally was 49 birds in the bag for plenty of shots! Not that it really mattered as it was just nice to be out in a hide again. 

I take no credit for the footage as the video is courtesy of Jackos You tube channel.