First russets through the machine...........

Walker570

With the winds we have had this last week our orchard is covered with fallings and some of the russets looked ripe enough to pick.  I sorted a small bucketful and this morning was indoor play so decided to peel and slice them and put them in the freezer.  I don't know if any of you have one of these little peeling machines, cost me about £15 from Lakeland and one of the best purchases I have ever made. I hope photos say it all. Did not have any lemon juice for the water which stops/delays the apple going brown so just water which does help a bit. From set up to finish was 25 mins and that included two trips up stairs for a camera and then batteries for it.

I will be putting about twenty five or thirty packs in the freezer which will keep us going to this time next year.

006.JPG

004.JPG

more pics

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

This little machine peels, takes the core out and at the same time slices the apple as fast as you can turn the handle.  For keeping the apple whole, you can just turn the slicing knife to the side and you get a whole apple, skinned and cored.  For traditional baked apples I would think you could lock the blade back and just run the apple through the corer ready for stuffing with good stuff.  Must try that.  It wou;d be sliced and cored, skin on and with care could then be put on a baking tray and stuffed with dried fruit brown sugar/honey and butter, so becaue it was sliced the juices from this would run through the slices.  Giving myself dieas now.  Could also wrap in pastry and bake hmmmm.

26 minutes ago, ditchman said:

baked apple sprinkled with brown sugar and loads of custard..........:yahoo:

Now your talking. I will have a look for a couple of nice big Worcester Permaines and experiment.  The good thing with those peeler slicers is they do such a neat job you can slide the whole apple off the core and with care turn it side up and fill it with goodies.  I will also envelope it in a pastry case. Watch this space.

Anyone on here within strking distance of me who likes apples and pears come and help yourselves.

We have one of those machines for peeking etc the apples.It is a great invention and so safe for the kids ro use without supervision. 

Last year they did a few roosters on it which I then put in the deer fat fryer.It was a pretty big success  ht the roosters aren't as uniform in shape as apples so they do not come out quite as pretty.

On 05/10/2022 at 13:54, Walker570 said:

This little machine peels, takes the core out and at the same time slices the apple as fast as you can turn the handle.  For keeping the apple whole, you can just turn the slicing knife to the side and you get a whole apple, skinned and cored.  For traditional baked apples I would think you could lock the blade back and just run the apple through the corer ready for stuffing with good stuff.  Must try that.  It wou;d be sliced and cored, skin on and with care could then be put on a baking tray and stuffed with dried fruit brown sugar/honey and butter, so becaue it was sliced the juices from this would run through the slices.  Giving myself dieas now.  Could also wrap in pastry and bake hmmmm.

If you haven’t got lemon juice you can use lemonade 

Nice work on the apples 

iv got a similar machine to your one mine won’t just core the apple though 👍

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/10/2022 at 13:54, Walker570 said:

Evening Walker ..... Might sound a silly question but can you peal spuds on your apple pealing machine ?

Russets are my number one apple , trouble is my ole teeth are getting loose and can no longer eat one in the flesh so to speak , mind you I am grateful I have still got enough of my own teeth to eat most things but sadly no longer biting into a apple .

Yes you can peel almost any fruit as long as they are reasonably even shape. Even pears but on most pears they are almost all edible and I remove the corer slicer and just peel them and then halve them and remove the core with a melon baller which leaves ll the good stuff.  The little curved peeling knife is set on a spring swivel so follows the shape of the fruit and has a depth gauge so only removes what you desire.  I paid £15 for mine and put it on a piece of old kitchen top  about 9 inches square so I could hold it easily with one hand whilst turning with the other.  I have now peeled  cored and sliced about 56lbs of apples and vacuum packed them for future use.  The whole process only took me about 40 mins.  Still have more to do.

on edit....sounds like you need one of these little tools to slice them for you into mangeable pieces.  I just put it under a strong cold tap to wash the juice off and then set in the sun to dry off.

Edited by Walker570

9 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yes you can peel almost any fruit as long as they are reasonably even shape. Even pears but on most pears they are almost all edible and I remove the corer slicer and just peel them and then halve them and remove the core with a melon baller which leaves ll the good stuff.  The little curved peeling knife is set on a spring swivel so follows the shape of the fruit and has a depth gauge so only removes what you desire.  I paid £15 for mine and put it on a piece of old kitchen top  about 9 inches square so I could hold it easily with one hand whilst turning with the other.  I have now peeled  cored and sliced about 56lbs of apples and vacuum packed them for future use.  The whole process only took me about 40 mins.  Still have more to do.

on edit....sounds like you need one of these little tools to slice them for you into mangeable pieces.  I just put it under a strong cold tap to wash the juice off and then set in the sun to dry off.

56lbs of apples, and you still have more to do? Will you be eating all these yourself? Sounds like an awful lot of apple pies to bake and eat, will that be with custard. :)

22 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yep, we enjoy apples cooked in all ways and they will last until next years picking.  You know where we are so come help yourself...PLEASE ...it grieves me to see so many on the deck rotting.  That goes for any other PW member within striking distance.

Tell you what mate, you are doing well for your age, good health?, reasonably fit and by the looks of it good appetite, hope you have many more autumns collecting and processing your apples.

Thanks for the offer of some apples, when my legs gets better (fell of a ladder) I might take you up on the offer but the way its going it maybe a few weeks yet. :good:

44 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yep, we enjoy apples cooked in all ways and they will last until next years picking.  You know where we are so come help yourself...PLEASE ...it grieves me to see so many on the deck rotting.  That goes for any other PW member within striking distance.

you need to get a couple of pigs to hoover them up ........then let them loose in yer woodland to root the ground up and fertilize....the wildflowers will love it......then get them deaded...bung em in the freezer

mate had the local pub once and fed his 4 pigs with the wey from the dairy and all the slops from the pub and waste food......pigs were half cut most of the time..........they did taste nice tho'

Edited by ditchman

9 hours ago, ditchman said:

you need to get a couple of pigs to hoover them up ........then let them loose in yer woodland to root the ground up and fertilize....the wildflowers will love it......then get them deaded...bung em in the freezer

mate had the local pub once and fed his 4 pigs with the wey from the dairy and all the slops from the pub and waste food......pigs were half cut most of the time..........they did taste nice tho'

Our pigsty is now converted into a neat little garden room glazed on the sunny side and with two comfy chairs where we can take a dram just after the 'yard arm' and chew the fat for half an hour on the days experiences.  I'm from that age when every other back garden had a pigsty and there was a local pig killer who would come round with his very sharp knife and do the job for you.  We had a special bench where the animal was hauled onto and then sorted into various bits and pieces and my grandmother said we only waste the squeal.  She would dry and package the hair and send it off to make shaving brushes.  I know where your coming from and back then those apples would not go to waste.  Buy my smoked bacon from the farm shop these days, locally produced.

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

Our pigsty is now converted into a neat little garden room glazed on the sunny side and with two comfy chairs where we can take a dram just after the 'yard arm' and chew the fat for half an hour on the days experiences.  I'm from that age when every other back garden had a pigsty and there was a local pig killer who would come round with his very sharp knife and do the job for you.  We had a special bench where the animal was hauled onto and then sorted into various bits and pieces and my grandmother said we only waste the squeal.  She would dry and package the hair and send it off to make shaving brushes.  I know where your coming from and back then those apples would not go to waste.  Buy my smoked bacon from the farm shop these days, locally produced.

i think i may have said before .."we dont waste the squeal in norfolk...we sell them to British Leyland for the brakes .."