IRAN

Walker570

It just dawned on me, should we be supporting this country.  They abuse women, even kill them because they don't wear a scarf, supply our enemies with arms etc etc.  I just ate a few dates from a box and saw the origin was Iran. Now should I buy further boxes or anything from this country. Personally I think not. Your views ?

There are many other countries with worse records on human / women's rights. 

This is a country with many issues, but the current uprising is being fuelled, supported and spun by the usual suspects, who care little for the women's rights issues, but see an opportunity to weaken and destabilise it.

5 minutes ago, treetree said:

This is a country with many issues, but the current uprising is being fuelled, supported and spun by the usual suspects, who care little for the women's rights issues, but see an opportunity to weaken and destabilise it.

So you seem happy that they kill a young woman for just not wearing a scarf then ?

31 minutes ago, 243deer said:

You are following your own conscience so it is not really for anyone else to say whether that is right or wrong. France have also supplied our enemies with arms in the past so are you also going to avoid buying anything French?

Definitely! 
The French are our biggest enemies. Always were and always will be.

2 hours ago, treetree said:

Yes there are. And one day their populations will probably have enough of them and seek change.

2 hours ago, treetree said:

Ah yes, of course, it has to be the US behind anything like this. There can be no change anywhere without the US being responsible. When I change my pants in the morning I blame the CIA. No, it’s not possible for a country to just snap and have enough of a tyrannical regime.

Indeed, when you look at revolutions and regime change in years before, well, the Roundheads and the Cavaliers, that was the CIA and their time machine at work.

The US are probably responsible for Iran’s average age of population being 31 and that young population being sick of being told what to do by old men stuck in the Stone Age. I bet they have the CIA running all the condom factories in Iran. 

1 hour ago, Mungler said:

Yes there are. And one day their populations will probably have enough of them and seek change.

Ah yes, of course, it has to be the US behind anything like this. There can be no change anywhere without the US being responsible. When I change my pants in the morning I blame the CIA. No, it’s not possible for a country to just snap and have enough of a tyrannical regime.

Indeed, when you look at revolutions and regime change in years before, well, the Roundheads and the Cavaliers, that was the CIA and their time machine at work.

The US are probably responsible for Iran’s average age of population being 31 and that young population being sick of being told what to do by old men stuck in the Stone Age. I bet they have the CIA running all the condom factories in Iran. 

Come on, if you want a civil, reasoned and polite debate them I'm fine with that. The above is just silly nonsense, playing to the gallery.

You seem to struggle holding 2 parallel thoughts (as shown by the Ukraine thread); Iran can be as you described in its tyrrany and ruled by men "Stuck in the stone age", but it can also find itself simultaneously on the receiving end of outside 'agitation'.

Do you not look at Syria or Libya (oh dear, accusations of 'Whataboutism' incoming) and have misgivings about how Iran will fare if this situation becomes worse? Still, we won't get into who the agitators were in Syria or Libya (because this nation has in no way benefited from the breakdown of both these countries).

Edited by treetree