24 hours in Police Custody. Ch.4 documentary.

Westley

7 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Such a system exists , it just depends on the judge presiding....

20 years ago , a good friend of mine was killed by the owner of a demolition yard whilst attempting to break in.

He was never a 'bad' lad, he lost his way through heroin addiction in the late 90s , and associating with thieving travellers, who sent him on missions to fund his habit, no excuse I know, but he was never the scumbag type, he came from a very well respected family.
I do believe the yard they were going to rob had been hit hard for small items of plant and tools , quite possibly by himself previously, but this time the owner was waiting as he climbed over the fence.
The owner hacked at his legs with a small axe as he lowered himself over, he screamed and was pulled back over by his accomplices , driven to hospital , and dumped outside A + E , he died a few days later from organ failure caused by blood loss and sepsis from the dirty axe.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/STAB+BOSS+FREED%3B+Judge+rules+killing+of+burglar+could+be+accident.-a0103183987

The yard owner was charged with murder initially , then manslaughter to which he pleaded not guilty, and was cleared.
Saying afterwards, if he hadnt tried to rob me, he wouldnt be dead, he also said it was self defence, which was complete rubbish , but the other 2 lads there wouldnt testify , so he could really say what he liked , and with no one to contest it , that was that.

Im not saying he was wrong to defend his property, he was frustrated with the lack of police support on previous break ins , so literally took the law into his own hands, and came out a bit of a local hero.
Could have been completely different though, like this man  https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/sep/11/stevenmorris but thats life I suppose ?

Cheers for sharing that. 

I suppose the bottom line, as we all know is that life isn't fair. 

That said I still hold some sympathy for the scrap yard owner, he sounds like someone who had had enough and decided the police couldn't help and would need to solve his own issues. I certainly don't condone what he did though. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As they say, you can’t make the poorer richer by making the richer poorer.

All this envy and talk of the wealth gap. So what? Tell that to the Ugandan Indians who rocked up with just the shirts on their backs and who kids are all doctors and surgeons.

Do we just pick the pockets of the people who took risks, worked hard, made a few quid and held onto it? 

Thatcher had it right - equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome.

At this moment in time, if you come from a deprived background and are bright, you have the best chance of getting into a Russell Group University. Maybe even an unequally higher chance.

Some people will get dealt a bum hand - eg death, illness and abandonment and will need a lot of support.

Others really do need to grapple with some hard truths. Case in point, one of the scumbags who got knocked off the motorbike was about to be a dad again - didn’t know his other half’s birthday. And who should pay for these feckless dole bludgers and all their children? Ah of course, the people that go to work and work hard?

And what about the scum bag and the girl he’s with who’s about to pop out his brat? Advice to her? Keep your legs closed, have some self respect, get a job, keep better company, look at getting a skill or a qualification etc? 

11 minutes ago, Mungler said:

As they say, you can’t make the poorer richer by making the richer poorer.

All this envy and talk of the wealth gap. So what? Tell that to the Ugandan Indians who rocked up with just the shirts on their backs and who kids are all doctors and surgeons.

Do we just pick the pockets of the people who took risks, worked hard, made a few quid and held onto it? 

Thatcher had it right - equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome.

At this moment in time, if you come from a deprived background and are bright, you have the best chance of getting into a Russell Group University. Maybe even an unequally higher chance.

Some people will get dealt a bum hand - eg death, illness and abandonment and will need a lot of support.

Others really do need to grapple with some hard truths. Case in point, one of the scumbags who got knocked off the motorbike was about to be a dad again - didn’t know his other half’s birthday. And who should pay for these feckless dole bludgers and all their children? Ah of course, the people that go to work and work hard?

And what about the scum bag and the girl he’s with who’s about to pop out his brat? Advice to her? Keep your legs closed, have some self respect, get a job, keep better company, look at getting a skill or a qualification etc? 

and what an upbringing those kids will have.

6 hours ago, oowee said:

I think you will find its correct. The following will bring you upto date.

The OBR ;- The tax burden rises from 33.1 per cent of GDP in 2019-20 to 37.1 per cent of GDP by 2027/28, a full percentage point higher than forecast by the OBR in March and its “highest sustained level since the Second World War.”

Statista

the express/

The Sun

Polotics uk

Accountancy daily

I must have slept through the tax rises of 2027/28

The 95% tax rate wasn’t a forecast it was fact

:shaun:

15 hours ago, daveboy said:

He said he thought they had stolen his tools.... what about defending your property... 99% of the police officers involved agreed with his actions. The gofundme page is up to £126,000 already.

If the threat is not there then you have no defence.

It's very simple to understand.

Fight like hell if you are threatened, if they are running away then the threat has stopped .

3 hours ago, welsh1 said:

If the threat is not there then you have no defence.

It's very simple to understand.

Fight like hell if you are threatened, if they are running away then the threat has stopped .

I had this discussion at work.

So, the criminals are fleeing, the threat is reducing but the criminals could be in possession of the victims property (what the criminals are fleeing with and the extent of their crimes remains unknown but it is absolutely known that a crime has been committed and criminals have fled the scene). 

The discussion then turns to insurance, reporting it to the police and so on.

So, what about this:

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/nov/23/met-police-say-tough-tactics-have-reduced-violent-moped

Police driving into criminals fleeing the scene where the immediate threat to the public has abated.

Ah, but they were giving chase to make an arrest following the commission of a criminal offence…. errr just like Adam White did?

If anyone says ‘ah but the police must have been specially trained to drive into fleeing motorbikes’ I’ll laugh at you. That is the only ‘difference’ to reach for but it’s no difference and there is no difference.

Bottom line, I have just read that someone had set up a 'go fund me' thing to help pay for the legal fees bill that Mr White had incurred. It currently stands at £172,000. I believe. At least that will pay off the loans that he had taken out to pay for his defence. It may also help after his forced house move. I hope the 2 posterior orifices that committed the attempt burglary may just one day get the degree of justice they deserve, at least their defence will have been paid for by the State  !