Did all 687s come with a stock oval fitted

rayo

Evening all Can anyone of you knowledgeable folk tell me if all beretta 687s came with a stock oval fitted .I’ve seen plenty of photos with them fitted but a local gun dealer has one for sale without a oval that I’m interested in . It’s not a deal breaker but I’m wondering if there’s  been a different stock fitted to the gun at some time .The dealer says he doesn’t think all came fitted with a oval . Any feedback would be greatly received thanks in advance guys 

No not all did. I can't claim to know why either but I'm looking at one now (20 bore Sporter) with no oval. A wild guess as the one I have here is a Sporter. Maybe only game/field models had them?  Saying that. I have a brand new SP III Field here without one. Another guess. Different era different attitudes towards spec vs costs. Don't know how they fit their ovals but fitting one in by hand is not quick. 

Whilst I appreciate that an oval can add a little to the aesthetics of a stock and some would not contemplate buying a gun without one, but what real purpose do they have.

Very few people these days would have their initials engraved on it as it affects the resale value unless they intend to keep the gun forever which is probably unlikely.

Certainly does not affect the gun’s performance.

Perhaps a tad of snobbery involved.

Tin hat firmly in place.

OB

14 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Whilst I appreciate that an oval can add a little to the aesthetics of a stock and some would not contemplate buying a gun without one, but what real purpose do they have.

Very few people these days would have their initials engraved on it as it affects the resale value unless they intend to keep the gun forever which is probably unlikely.

Certainly does not affect the gun’s performance.

Perhaps a tad of snobbery involved.

Tin hat firmly in place.

OB

The main purpose of the oval is to remind your man of the correct cartilage for the day

no snobbery at all 😂😂

46583C82-BAFF-437D-BAAC-10532D48AC55.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

The main purpose of the oval is to remind your man of the correct cartilage for the day

no snobbery at all 😂😂

Very good!

I like an escutcheon (that’s an oval on Pigeon Watch) because it helps my butler to pick my guns from the rack. Nothing to do with snobbery!

16 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

no snobbery at all 😂😂

I always go with the CARTILADGE I have in my joints!   :rolleyes:

But naturally REDs are to be favoured.  :good:

I have several Beretta stocks upstairs, two of them have escutcheons, the remainder do not.  :cool1:

6 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I always go with the CARTILADGE I have in my joints!   :rolleyes:

But naturally REDs are to be favoured.  :good:

I have several Beretta stocks upstairs, two of them have escutcheons, the remainder do not.  :cool1:

One doesn’t need a escutcheon on a semi auto 😂😂

although allegedly they work best with red cartaliges 😂