Sand/cement ???.

samboy

Hi gang.

How much of the above will i need to lay 86 bricks. I will buy the sand in bags as it will be easier.

Thanks all.

3 bags of building sand and 1 bag of cement. The ratio is up to you, but a good start is all the sand with half of the cement. Get hold of some plasticiser, will help the mix greatly 🙃

2 bags of sand will usually build 60 bricks in a 4" wall.

6 minutes ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

How much of the above will i need to lay 86 bricks. I will buy the sand in bags as it will be easier.

Thanks all.

I'd say your gonna fill your mixer twice 

So 

2 cement 

5 brown sand     (holm) 

3 yellow sand    (pit) 

For a 4:1 ratio

And a dash of washing up liquid in each mix .

Though I'm not a bricky  but a chippy that occasionally lays bricks .

Oh sorry only trying to help . The washing up liquid  tip was given to me by a bricky of 40 years and it works a treat .better that plasticizer  in his opinion  . It  works good enough as far as I can see and is easy to hand for a few bricks . 

What do you do  ? Watch utube all day  ? 

1 minute ago, Ultrastu said:

The washing up liquid  tip was given to me by a bricky of 40 years and it works a treat

I was always told the same.

21 minutes ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Thanks all.

Keep in mind the over night temperature,  you need to cover the brickwork if it's going to freeze.

Just now, Ultrastu said:

Oh sorry only trying to help . The washing up liquid  tip was given to me by a bricky of 40 years and it works a treat .better that plasticizer  in his opinion  . It  works good enough as far as I can see and is easy to hand for a few bricks . 

What do you do  ? Watch utube all day  ? 

Hahaha Hahaha 🤣🤣🤣

Is that the best you can come up with ?!

You should stick to things that you actually know, like fac airgun technical issues in the Airgun section 👍👋

Sorry to the OP for getting poor advice re washing up liquid,,,, it's uses are very limited and it does what it says on the bottle 🤣

My first reply, FYI , I was on my lunch break from,,,, laying bricks, something I've been doing for just over 40 years 🤓😄 I'm still using a brick trowel which was new while others on here were thinking about what apprenticeship to go for 🤔😁

Just to confirm,,,, 2 bags of (Jewsons/Travis Perkins) building sand with approx half a bag of cement will lay approx 60 bricks in a half brick (4") wall. Ratio is usually 6 or 5 sand to 1 cement, depending on your requirements and colour of original mortar, if you are trying for a match.

• 3 weeks later...