Computing for us auld yins

billytheghillie

7 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

I have a basic laptop, not good with these things. Question, can i write and print off a letter on it? How do i do it? Do i need a special programme for it?

Thanks.

Normally word, but there are also free versions like google docs and WPS office.

Google doc should do what you need.

Edited by Newbie to this

3 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

I have a basic laptop, not good with these things. Question, can i write and print off a letter on it? How do i do it? Do i need a special programme for it?

Thanks.

Do you actually have to have a PRINTED copy to send to someone-?  nowadays nearly everything is done electronically.  You don't have to spend out for stamp, envelope , paper and ink.  You haven't got to go and plant it into a postbox and the recipient gets it NOW.  You still have a copy of the letter that you sent and so do they.  the day of snail mail is gone.

AND. if it's really important they will get it today rather than sometime maybe in the new year, AND  if it is needed they can reply to you within minutes rather than mid January... If your lucky.

3 minutes ago, Minky said:

Do you actually have to have a PRINTED copy to send to someone-?  nowadays nearly everything is done electronically.  You don't have to spend out for stamp, envelope , paper and ink.  You haven't got to go and plant it into a postbox and the recipient gets it NOW.  You still have a copy of the letter that you sent and so do they.  the day of snail mail is gone.

I have just recently retired and got a nice letter from my boss, so i think it would be nice to return the compliment. Anyway i dont have his e-mail.

Fair play.  yes I agree that a paper letter is a nicer way to receive a response to this but it is even nicer to receive a hand written letter.  A lot more personal than a printed out letter especially if it is just planted out in times new roman or whatever text that will probably be selected.  I would much rather have a hand written letter even if it looks like a spider wrote it.  Think of all of the cards written out by grand kids etc.  it's the thought that counts more than chopping a load of words out of a newspaper and sticking them on a sheet of paper.  Nice thought of your boss to send you a letter.  you could always add your email address on your letter so that he could quickly contact you for whatever reason.  Ps write out your letter in rough on a scrap piece of paper BEFORE you send it and  ... if possible get someone to read through it for spelling mistakes and graphical errors.  it makes it a lot easier to read. Writing a good readable letter is a skill.  you only have to read some of the posts on here to realise that.  Happy retirement.  you'll wonder how you ever found the time to go to work.

8 minutes ago, Minky said:

Fair play.  yes I agree that a paper letter is a nicer way to receive a response to this but it is even nicer to receive a hand written letter.  A lot more personal than a printed out letter especially if it is just planted out in times new roman or whatever text that will probably be selected.  I would much rather have a hand written letter even if it looks like a spider wrote it.  Think of all of the cards written out by grand kids etc.  it's the thought that counts more than chopping a load of words out of a newspaper and sticking them on a sheet of paper.  Nice thought of your boss to send you a letter.  you could always add your email address on your letter so that he could quickly contact you for whatever reason.  Ps write out your letter in rough on a scrap piece of paper BEFORE you send it and  ... if possible get someone to read through it for spelling mistakes and graphical errors.  it makes it a lot easier to read. Writing a good readable letter is a skill.  you only have to read some of the posts on here to realise that.  Happy retirement.  you'll wonder how you ever found the time to go to work.

:good:

9 minutes ago, ditchman said:

you are running the same as me ...........click on Word and follow the instructions...:good:

where do i find that?

This post came through to me as a post notification and I can't help you on that one because I run on iMac so it is all different to Windows but from when I did I'm sure that there will be a blue square icon with a white W on it to open the word application. probably on your desktop page.

this. might help you.   

Also it makes a letter a lot nicer if it is presented on a NICE piece of paper in a Nice envelope rather than chucking out there on a sheet torn out of a jotter pad written with a kids green crayon.  imagine receiving a letter from Buckingham palace or somewhere

3 hours ago, discobob said:

or - in the search box enter Wordpad - quite basic text editor that comes with Windows - better than notepad but not as good as Word/Google Docs/Open Office

^^This

Wordpad will do the job. :good:

If your hand writing is like mine, rubbish, but you would like it to look a bit different, you could always change the font, something like below

Segoe Script

Thanks.

Segoe Print

Thanks.

Comic Sans MS.

Thanks.

Edited by old'un

2 hours ago, Minky said:

this. might help you.   

Also it makes a letter a lot nicer if it is presented on a NICE piece of paper in a Nice envelope rather than chucking out there on a sheet torn out of a jotter pad written with a kids green crayon.  imagine receiving a letter from Buckingham palace or somewhere

well done Minky............thats excactley whats needed............even i can follow that...............Billy should be made up with that ..:good: