Browning medalist 12ga

TomV

Sorry, but it is NOT a Browning of any description, and it matters not a bit what is written on anyone’s ticket. 
The only reason I point this out is that someone somewhere not knowing any better, could buy this believing they are buying a Browning shotgun…they aren’t because it isn’t. 
It has never been anywhere near the factories in Japan or Belgium. 
The Medallist was made by FIAS under license for the importers of Browning at the time, and sold by Browning, but it is not a Browning. It is a good, sound well made shotgun, but is NOT a Browning. 

Popcorn....

I think to word it differently might help?

"Commonly referred to as a Browning Medalist" might help.

It is not (or at least in my experience of many, many of these guns) marked anywhere "Browning".

As commented above these are a good gun in their own right and adding the name Browning wouldn't improve anything.

Edd

16 hours ago, Bigteddy1954 said:

Hi folks just been on gun trader and all medalists on there come under browning why if they made at other company ?.cheers teddy

It doesn’t matter what they ‘come under’, they were commissioned to be manufactured by the importers of Browning shotguns, sold by them but not made by Browning. 
As Gordon says, those in the trade advertising them as Brownings should and will know better. 

23 hours ago, Scully said:

Sorry, but it is NOT a Browning of any description, and it matters not a bit what is written on anyone’s ticket. 
The only reason I point this out is that someone somewhere not knowing any better, could buy this believing they are buying a Browning shotgun…they aren’t because it isn’t. 
It has never been anywhere near the factories in Japan or Belgium. 
The Medallist was made by FIAS under license for the importers of Browning at the time, and sold by Browning, but it is not a Browning. It is a good, sound well made shotgun, but is NOT a Browning. 

This. 100%. Always was. But, yes, commonly known, indeed, as a Browning Medallist. And good enough quality to be sold by Browning. That's good enough a pedigree IMHO. The same as the .270 WCF rifles by Sako and another that were sold by Holland & Holland back in the day. If I was in the market for buying an O/U I'd have no hesitation in buying this one, known my most as a Browning Medallist.

Add an apostrophe and an s and and Browning's Medallist is acceptable to all I'd say. Save the pedants. For that is what it was and is. A god gun sold by Browning as the Medallist. Thus indeed correctly Browning's Medallist model. Shortened by most to Browning Medallist. Good Luck with the sale TOMV. It's a nice gun.

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/shotgun/secondhand-browning-medallist-review

Enjoy the attached image below. It says all that needs to be said IMHO.

BRN.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares

30 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

This. 100%. Always was. But, yes, commonly known, indeed, as a Browning Medallist. And good enough quality to be sold by Browning. That's good enough a pedigree IMHO. The same as the .270 WCF rifles by Sako and another that were sold by Holland & Holland back in the day. If I was in the market for buying an O/U I'd have no hesitation in buying this one, known my most as a Browning Medallist.

Add an apostrophe and an s and and Browning's Medallist is acceptable to all I'd say. Save the pedants. For that is what it was and is. A god gun sold by Browning as the Medallist. This indeed correctly Browning's Medallist model. Shortened by most to Browning Medallist. Good Luck with the sale TOMV. It's a nice gun.

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/shotgun/secondhand-browning-medallist-review

BRN.jpg

Is being concerned that someone may be deceived into believing they are buying a Browning pedantry, or just being accurate? 
It was NEVER called a Browning Medallist other than by those dealers trying to sell it; it isn’t even named as a ‘Browning Medallist’ in the advert’ you’ve enclosed! 
Anyhow, thanks for supporting my point. 👍

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

Add an apostrophe and an s and and Browning's Medallist is acceptable to all I'd say. Save the pedants. For that is what it was and is. A god gun sold by Browning as the Medallist. Thus indeed correctly Browning's Medallist model. Shortened by most to Browning Medallist. Good Luck with the sale TOMV. It's a nice gun.

BRN.jpg

The advert says it all for me. In all instances I have seen it's sold as browning 

Anyone looking at this advertised gun will now be aware - if they weren't before - that it is not a Browning. I can understand why people advertise them as Brownings, but they are most certainly not.

In the years that they have been sold, I am surprised no-one has reported a gun dealer to Trading Standards.

8 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Anyone looking at this advertised gun will now be aware - if they weren't before - that it is not a Browning. I can understand why people advertise them as Brownings, but they are most certainly not.

In the years that they have been sold, I am surprised no-one has reported a gun dealer to Trading Standards.

This. 👆

• 10 months later...

hello, as a side note, the medalist was imported by browning as a cheaper O/U to the range of shotguns at the time when the Browning HQ was on Milton Park estate , and i purchased the first Medalist shotgun when i was much involved with the original Oxford Clay Pigeon Club and the Gun shop,