The cottage, "shepp whites"

harrycatcat1

Can't remember it being there in 69/70 but as you turn into the carpark there was some bushes and pieces of hedge along with a caravan of one of the clubs from the picture it looks like the caravan is parked where the cottage used to be.

Interesting thanks for posting Harry 👍👍

Brilliant photo and I wander how many fowlers went in for a bit of shelter in the time when it was occupied and also when it was empty ? , Who was likely to live in the cottage ? , marshmen , stockmen or a farm worker .

We had one or two isolated cottages that were scattered about the marshes and around the edge of the estuary .

Where I used to live it was prone to flood as it was a island with water all around us , down the marsh road there was a little cottage all by itself that was only about 100 yds from the estuary wall , in the 1953 floods all the marshland was under several feet of water when the estuary wall was breached in several places  , when the water went down the ole boy who lived in this little cottage went missing , he was later found in the side of one the dykes as dead as a Do Do , he must have tried to cross the marshes and ended up walking into a submerged dyke , he was one of over 300 who perished down the East coast on that night which was nearly exactly 60 years ago .

• 7 months later...
On 06/01/2023 at 13:26, harrycatcat1 said:

This picture was stolen from Facebook which was taken some time ago.

I found it very interesting 🤔 

Who remembers the cottage, I don't.

Screenshot_20230106_132140_Facebook.jpg

A really interesting photo!  I wonder was the lady in the photo a fowler..? Or without sounding sexist, did she just come along to serve the men their ''Dockey'' ?

I would not be one bit surprised if she was out for flight, as I know the woman around that part of the coast were hardy souls!

That is why I cringe, when I heard a fella from a well known youtube fieldsports channel sitting in ahide, in dry weather along a hedge, in a stubble field, dressed head to toe in all the latest warm weather clothing, including gloves..saying how cold it was and explaining that the reason he was shooting a S/A gun was to reduce the recoil of the heavy cartidges..!

It was then I would think of what the old east cosst gunners, would think of it all. Throwing up there long barreled, short crude stocked 4's,8's,10's and Super 12's out on the shore! Or the hardy woman out on the shore in skirts,bare legs and feet working the mud flats harvesting ''Stewkey Blues'' would think. Folk were certainly harder in bygone times IMO.

Great photo of Wildfowing from times gone by.

12 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

A really interesting photo!  I wonder was the lady in the photo a fowler..? Or without sounding sexist, did she just come along to serve the men their ''Dockey'' ?

I would not be one bit surprised if she was out for flight, as I know the woman around that part of the coast were hardy souls!

That is why I cringe, when I heard a fella from a well known youtube fieldsports channel sitting in ahide, in dry weather along a hedge, in a stubble field, dressed head to toe in all the latest warm weather clothing, including gloves..saying how cold it was and explaining that the reason he was shooting a S/A gun was to reduce the recoil of the heavy cartidges..!

It was then I would think of what the old east cosst gunners, would think of it all. Throwing up there long barreled, short crude stocked 4's,8's,10's and Super 12's out on the shore! Or the hardy woman out on the shore in skirts,bare legs and feet working the mud flats harvesting ''Stewkey Blues'' would think. Folk were certainly harder in bygone times IMO.

The picture is really emotive,  more questions than answers. 

I was given a montage of a marsh that I have spent time on and it is on the back of my "old coalhouse" door. Used for storing coats now. When I go in and look at it the memories come back. I will take a picture of it.

ps  high tide.Screenshot_20230812_075330_Gallery.jpg

Edited by harrycatcat1

Short history of "Shep White". 

Woodruff “Shep” White 1894

Woodruff “Shep” White was born in Bury, Huntingdonshire in 1846. He was a Shepherd on Holbeach Marsh, Holbeach St Matthew, Lincolnshire. The photo was taken in 1894 at Gedney Drove End, when he was 48 years old, with his Wife and 10 children and his Sheepdog. He was also a Marsh Guide for gentlemen Wildfowlers around the 1900’s. The family lived in a marsh cottage beside the Wash Old Sea Wall, by the turning into today’s Shep White’s car parking. The cottage was demolished in the 1950’s or 1960’s and the old cottage footings can still be seen today.

In 1901 he purchased a farm-house and barn with 6 acres of farmland at Penny Hill, Holbeach for £620 from the late H.C. Finsley (Lot 6 at Auction). “Shep” White became a Cottage Farmer. He died in 1931 aged 85 years, and he has a fine stone cross & border gravestone in Holbeach Cemetery.

image.jpeg.030cfc9592a2a2d84a538531358d086c.jpeg

Edited by oxfordfowler

On 16/08/2023 at 08:28, oxfordfowler said:

Woodruff “Shep” White was born in Bury, Huntingdonshire in 1846. He was a Shepherd on Holbeach Marsh, Holbeach St Matthew, Lincolnshire. The photo was taken in 1894 at Gedney Drove End, when he was 48 years old, with his Wife and 10 children and his Sheepdog. He was also a Marsh Guide for gentlemen Wildfowlers around the 1900’s. The family lived in a marsh cottage beside the Wash Old Sea Wall, by the turning into today’s Shep White’s car parking. The cottage was demolished in the 1950’s or 1960’s and the old cottage footings can still be seen today.

In 1901 he purchased a farm-house and barn with 6 acres of farmland at Penny Hill, Holbeach for £620 from the late H.C. Finsley (Lot 6 at Auction). “Shep” White became a Cottage Farmer. He died in 1931 aged 85 years, and he has a fine stone cross & border gravestone in Holbeach Cemetery.

They certainly inherited the 'brow'.

On 12/08/2023 at 07:52, harrycatcat1 said:

The picture is really emotive,  more questions than answers. 

I was given a montage of a marsh that I have spent time on and it is on the back of my "old coalhouse" door. Used for storing coats now. When I go in and look at it the memories come back. I will take a picture of it.

ps  high tide.Screenshot_20230812_075330_Gallery.jpg

Nice Harry! Little reminders of special places are good for the soul.

I've seen that photo before somewhere and was aware of most of the info. It must have been quite a tough enviroment to be brought up in back then, especially for the woman folk.  A legendary Wildfowling location indeed.

They were well dressed, with 10 children to feed and clothe  he must have made a few quid as a guide..

On 11/08/2023 at 18:58, SuperGoose75 said:

Here yer go Super goose , these were women who it wouldn't do to mess about with .

Sorry about the quality of the photo .

SAM-7919.jpg

Very interesting read 👍👍👍