vw golf estate

mossy835

wife went to start it nothing,called out rac battery flat so they put a new one on, £168.went to start it next day all flat again they drivers side window would not go down and radio said phone on it.rac came out and said, elecric trouble take it to the garage, its still there now,tyring to worl it out.any ideas,

Hi

A chum had a similar 'parasitic' drain to the battery - turned out to be the glove box switch had failed and was not turning the light off........Golf too...

Might also be worth checking the alterator is doing what it should - diode-packs do fail. Some also have some sort of 'clutch-mechanism' too!

L

PS - have a search on Golf Forums - many 'Enthusiasts', more practical knowledge than Garages on there!

You say the radio said “phone “ on it.

I’ve had a transit flatten both batteries down to zero volts overnight and suspected that it hadn’t disconnected from my phone properly. It did it twice and I noticed another time that the radio had stayed on even when the van was locked. The radio was still searching for a phone.

I don’t let my phone connect to it anymore and it hasn’t done it again.

VWs may be completely different though.

• 3 weeks later...

My passat done the same had it in 2 different garages they couldn't find the issue so I got rid (2007 with 140,000) in part ex for a newer car and the passat is still local to me so I asked the bloke who now has it and he said he traced it to the radio so got another radio off ebay and problem solved.

• 4 weeks later...

Had an Audi that water got into the amplifier and that blew the power circuit so it was a constant drain as it did not see the power off command

most vw have screen drains that block these can lead to water ingress to wireing looms to the side of the footwell this can cause all sorts of gremlins.

the final old school way to sort is to start pulling fuses!

Agriv8