Room heater needed ?.

samboy

Hi gang.

I need a new heater to warm a room about 12 x 10 ft. What would be best an electric oil rad or a ceramic heater ?.

Thanks all.

With electric heating, it is all 100% efficient for practical purposes.  That is for every kilowatt of power from the mains, you get a kilowatt of heat. 

The differences are really in the way that heat is delivered, how fast it warms up, what the 'burn risk' is (for children) - and of course the cost.

I have no experience of ceramic, but oil radiators give a slow warm up and cool down and a steady safe (little burn risk) heat that is really convected heat, very similar to a central heating radiator.

In addition, some have thermostats and timers.  It is really what best suits your requirements.

You could consider a Diesel heater - would mean drilling a hole in the wall at least for the exhaust - or a bigger hole if you have the heater outside. Some interesting stuff being done on YT about these and a few are using one to heat the house as cheaper than gas or electricity to run...

Considering getting one to run in the garage and blast through into the hall for next winter..reclaim the exhaust gas heat into a radiator as well in the garage to warm that up at the same time..

15 minutes ago, discobob said:

You could consider a Diesel heater - would mean drilling a hole in the wall at least for the exhaust - or a bigger hole if you have the heater outside. Some interesting stuff being done on YT about these and a few are using one to heat the house as cheaper than gas or electricity to run...

Considering getting one to run in the garage and blast through into the hall for next winter..reclaim the exhaust gas heat into a radiator as well in the garage to warm that up at the same time..

I have a number of these and you could quite easily pick them up for around £80 but over the last couple of months with all the videos appearing on YouTube they have gone up to £180/£200+ now if you can get one now unfortunately 

14 hours ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

I need a new heater to warm a room about 12 x 10 ft. What would be best an electric oil rad or a ceramic heater ?.

Thanks all.

Can you not just get a wood/multifuel burner? I suppose if you are not stopping long in the house it would be an expensive project 🤔 

15 hours ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Thanks all.

Yes.

Give us more of a clue -  Ceiling height?  How well insulated is the room?  Any windows? Is it attached to the main structure of the house?

Probably cheapest to run would be to add a rad to your existing central heating system, assuming there's enough spare capacity in the boiler.  Modern boilers tend to be over-spec'd as seemingly "gas engineers" don't like doing proper calculations.

18 hours ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

I need a new heater to warm a room about 12 x 10 ft. What would be best an electric oil rad or a ceramic heater ?

Hi fella, I've got a spare electric oil heater I could sell to you if you're interested   ?

Let me know and we can sort out details etc

Edited by JKD