cabbage MMmmmmmmm & stuff

ditchman

saw a lonely little cabbage in the co-op...so i rescued it....stripped it cut the bottom off and left it in water all night.....i rekon some of these vedge sit in climate controlled wgarehouses for bloody weeks....andthe time theygetto the shops ..they are soooo sad.....anyway.....it worked it looks 100% now and will go well with sausage casserole....

i love alsots of cabbage with loads of butter bit of Maldon sea salt...and black pepper....

P1000701saus.JPG

P1000697saus.JPG

P1000698saus.JPG

P1000699saus.JPG

P1000703saus.JPG

P1000704saus.JPG

18 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

Yer pushing the boat out, on the Richmond Bangers again.

im really dissapointed with the lardy-da "by appointment" local butcher....first thing i did when i moved here was a visit.......meat looked ok....was tastless sausages and chipolarters looked good.............cooked some and had to throw them away............the mix was just loaded with salt....and i have never been back since...

so yes ...they are richmond bangers.....they remind me of the walls mess sauages..(and i loved army cooking)........

they may be made by hydraulic meat removal and are full of ground up pigs anus's and ears and snouts....but i like them...

44 minutes ago, ditchman said:

im really dissapointed with the lardy-da "by appointment" local butcher....first thing i did when i moved here was a visit.......meat looked ok....was tastless sausages and chipolarters looked good.............cooked some and had to throw them away............the mix was just loaded with salt....and i have never been back since...

so yes ...they are richmond bangers.....they remind me of the walls mess sauages..(and i loved army cooking)........

they may be made by hydraulic meat removal and are full of ground up pigs anus's and ears and snouts....but i like them...

Such a shame, usually village butchers are good, expensive, yes. I cant complain about my village butcher, his beef lynx sausages are superb.

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

:lol:

Evertthing apart from the sqeal ehh.

Nothing better than a nice banger!

One of my first ever and short lived jobs was in a slaughter house on the offal line, the lowest paid job I think. it was, I used to seperate all the organs from the lights into trays and stack them. The alimentary canals and lights would put into 40 gallon plastic drums and we would take them outside and tip them into large skips that were filled with water. They had large plastic sheets that would cover the skips and after a few days the top surface would 'scum up',this organic effluent would then be raked off the top with big paddles then dried and sold as pig feed or so I was led to believe.

Despite wearing wellies, overall, apron and large food gloves you could never wash that heavy tainted bloody iron smell off. I can still taste and smell it now. 

15 hours ago, ditchman said:

saw a lonely little cabbage in the co-op...so i rescued it....stripped it cut the bottom off and left it in water all night.....i rekon some of these vedge sit in climate controlled wgarehouses for bloody weeks....andthe time theygetto the shops ..they are soooo sad.....anyway.....it worked it looks 100% now and will go well with sausage casserole....

i love alsots of cabbage with loads of butter bit of Maldon sea salt...and black pepper....

P1000701saus.JPG

P1000697saus.JPG

P1000698saus.JPG

P1000699saus.JPG

P1000703saus.JPG

P1000704saus.JPG

Yes, my type of food, however Richmond sausages, last time I had them, had a herb in that tasted like antiseptic,  so avoid them.

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Yes, my type of food, however Richmond sausages, last time I had them, had a herb in that tasted like antiseptic,  so avoid them.

i totally hate sausages that have herb and lardy-da spice in them.....sausauges are supposed to be 50% rusk and crumb and various bits of fatty pork...END OF

8 hours ago, Robden said:

Love sausages. I pay £15 for 6 kilos.  Lots of different choices, but I get "old english" or "pork with black pudding."

A farmer/butcher friend of mine took the breasts from 46 brace of pheasants  and turned them into 200 six-packs of pheasant and black pudding sausages. 
He sold the lot in 2 days.

30 minutes ago, London Best said:

A farmer/butcher friend of mine took the breasts from 46 brace of pheasants  and turned them into 200 six-packs of pheasant and black pudding sausages. 
He sold the lot in 2 days.

I picked up a couple of brace of pheasants the the other day from one of my friends who is a picker up for the our large local shoot. I asked him how they were getting on re the game. He told me that the shoot has a chap who takes large amounts of the birds and lots are turned into sausages that sell very well. I have asked him to get me some.

For some people I could see the 'appeal' to cook a banger than a visulal bird in my experience from giving game away. The venison and other game I give to friends and family they will only take it if I have prepared it ready for cooking, some will take a whole bird, others breasts only and the venison into cuts and fillets. 

Those pheasantt and black pudding could be well worth a try.

38 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

takes large amounts of the birds and lots are turned into sausages

I have made pheasant burgers before.  I've not made sausages because although my mincer has tubes for filling sausages, I never have any skins when needed!

The burgers are nice and just pheasant, some smoked streaky bacon with some fat in it, dried onion and herbs etc. as you like (I add black pepper and a bit of sage and thyme) and if needed some extra meat to bulk up (pork does well, as I'm sure would chicken).  Bang it all through the mincer together and press into burgers (or use as a filling for pasties for shoot elevenses).

25 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have made pheasant burgers before.  I've not made sausages because although my mincer has tubes for filling sausages, I never have any skins when needed!

The burgers are nice and just pheasant, some smoked streaky bacon with some fat in it, dried onion and herbs etc. as you like (I add black pepper and a bit of sage and thyme) and if needed some extra meat to bulk up (pork does well, as I'm sure would chicken).  Bang it all through the mincer together and press into burgers (or use as a filling for pasties for shoot elevenses).

They sound like the 'very job' John, do the burgers bind together well as I find pheasant a little dry at times?

Just now, 7daysinaweek said:

They sound like the 'very job' John, do the burgers bind together well as I find pheasant a little dry at times?

They don't bind very well, but you can add an egg (i don't get on well with eggs, so don't usually) but the bacon fat helps keep them together.  You could also add a few breadcrumbs with the egg.   I do use a 'burger press' - only a simple plastic hand one when I started (I have a better one now), and I tend to cook them on a tray in the oven on a bit of baking parchment, so they aren't moved about much.  Since I scoop the burger from the baking tray straight onto the plate (or bread), it isn't a big problem.  I started to use up the good bits of badly shot birds.

My neighbour used to make sausages and it is a bit of a 'knack' that takes a bit of practice, but burgers are easy!

@JohnfromUK

Thank you for the reply John.

They sound manageable to make from your suggestions, any time I have made pork burgers they have ended up breaking in the pan. Next time will give them a go with some streaky bacon added and a little breadcumb. What a cracking way to use up parts of the bird that were not spoiled.

I bought a large hand sausage maker it, must be over 20 years ago and it's still sat in the garage :lol: Every year I mean to make some use of it but never seems to happen. Some day, some day!

👍

3 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

any time I have made pork burgers they have ended up breaking in the pan.

Cheat - like I do and cook them on a tray in the oven. 

I grew up with my mother cooking on a coal fired AgA, and because the two hot plates were 'non temperature adjustable', frying was problematic.  The boiling plate was too hot and frying spitted like a cornered feral cat - and the simmering plate was too cool to fry properly.  So I learned that the vast majority of frying tasks (bacon, sausages, etc.) can be done in the hot oven on a baking tray ........ and you don't have the house smelling like a transport cafe!

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Cheat - like I do and cook them on a tray in the oven. 

I grew up with my mother cooking on a coal fired AgA, and because the two hot plates were 'non temperature adjustable', frying was problematic.  The boiling plate was too hot and frying spitted like a cornered feral cat - and the simmering plate was too cool to fry properly.  So I learned that the vast majority of frying tasks (bacon, sausages, etc.) can be done in the hot oven on a baking tray ........ and you don't have the house smelling like a transport cafe!

👍

Oven it is. The safest way to olfactory heaven :lol:

Ditchy, them chips look superb. Are they Maris Piper and they look like they've been cooked in a chip pan?

Smother them in salt and vinegar. Delicious!

53 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

👍

Oven it is. The safest way to olfactory heaven :lol:

Ditchy, them chips look superb. Are they Maris Piper and they look like they've been cooked in a chip pan?

Smother them in salt and vinegar. Delicious!

oven chips my dear...............got to use them cause i got no extractor fan