Eley VIP Pro Eco Steel 4's

Hi All

I was wandering around TFM at the weekend and noticed they had VIP Pro Eco steel in size 4. I have used the 3's and 5's and didn't know Eley had started doing 4's (not even on their website). Has anyone on here used them and how do they compare? I like the 3's and 5's but was wondering if the 4's would be a better balance to avoid chopping and changing shot size. I would also be interested in shot diameter and count.

I couldn't understand why they were doing 3's and 5's for so long in 12 bore but doing 4's in 20? For me the 5's were not enough on game, although may be OK for decoying pigeons. 3's were effective but 4's seems like the best alternative to the classic lead 6's.

On a side note a pheasant on the last day basically had a hole not much bigger than the diameter of a cartridge full of steel shot. None were shot especially close so it does make me wonder a bit about patter consistency which may account for some inconsistency in kills I've seen with pro eco. I need to do some pattern tests to see if that's the case but I came see how else it could happen except shot being stuck in the wad?

5 minutes ago, bigroomboy said:

I couldn't understand why they were doing 3's and 5's for so long in 12 bore but doing 4's in 20? For me the 5's were not enough on game, although may be OK for decoying pigeons. 3's were effective but 4's seems like the best alternative to the classic lead 6's.

On a side note a pheasant on the last day basically had a hole not much bigger than the diameter of a cartridge full of steel shot. None were shot especially close so it does make me wonder a bit about patter consistency which may account for some inconsistency in kills I've seen with pro eco. I need to do some pattern tests to see if that's the case but I came see how else it could happen except shot being stuck in the wad?

What are the wads made from?

If PVA, it's a water soluble glue.

I have been following people's view on 4's in other cartridges but just hadn't come across VIPs in size 4. Any idea if it's a true steel size 4? The VIP steel 3 isn't exactly aligned with other manufacturers as it is still classed as standard steel (3.25mm) where others use Fe4 or similar to describe a "a bit bigger than 4 but not as big as 3 shot size".

From another thread on here, I think they are using a seaweed extract for the wad.

Edited by Dangerous Brian

4 hours ago, Dangerous Brian said:

From another thread on here, I think they are using a seaweed extract for the wad.

They, are a Spanish manufacture of the wad funded by EU grants, the wads are made from PVA or possibly PVOH, smell one they smell like pva wood glue. been in use since 2013.  

https://www.clay-shooting.com/features/shooting-without-trace/

22 minutes ago, Jimbo yorks said:

Personally I'd stay away from them, absolutely **** with no killing power!

There's a thread I started with has had alot of feedback on them!

I'm going to try hull and gamebores offerings to see if they match up to my normal super steels next season

I have used them ,as have quite a few of my acquaintances all speak very highly of them with no complaints,  mostly used on flighting ducks ,although to be fair  I have shot a couple of Canada geese at sensible ranges again no complaints .

However I have noticed that if my aim is off they don’t ever result in a kill.

31 minutes ago, Jimbo yorks said:

Personally I'd stay away from them, absolutely **** with no killing power!

There's a thread I started with has had alot of feedback on them!

I'm going to try hull and gamebores offerings to see if they match up to my normal super steels next season

Maybe you’ve just been missing?  🙂

As I mentioned earlier, they’ve been used a lot on a local commercial shoot and the guns seem happy enough. 
A lad I know said he’d been let down by a slab of cartridges ( can’t recall the make now ) he’d stored in his van for several weeks, which as we all know isn’t ideal for any cartridge. 

Patterned a few of these this morning although was too limited on time and cardboard to make a properly informed judgement.

The headline conclusion is that I could see they would be very good for driven birds as reported above. The patterns were tight and even and I was impressed overall.

Rather sparse for pigeon (at range / in my gun / in my opinion), but a solid cartridge for it's intended use. I didn't have enough time or opportunities to do a field test, although I may be able to to me put up a no pattern image later, time allowing.

All that said, it's still difficult to look at these steel patterns next to a plain old 25g/#6 lead pattern and not feel like you're flogging a dead horse sometimes.

Edited by neutron619