Sapele

Scully

Anyone on here painted Sapele wood? 
Some years ago I went to repaint some Sapele framed windows, and the paint was simply peeling off in strips. I hadn’t painted them previously. 
I prepped, primed, under coated/top coated as per normal with high quality trade paints and a year later it’s peeling again, yet the other windows on the same property are fine. 
Some other frames on another property have done similar. 
Contacted trade centre and they had no answers other than to ‘perhaps’ try an aluminium based primer. 🤷‍♂️

Just had a quick gander online and found a joinery company having similar problems, and no answer.
Anyone any ideas? This only concerns paint, not stains. 
Ta.  

Edited by Scully

Mate of mine makes doors and window frames from Sapele wood, when the customer wants it painted after fitting they give the window frame or door a couple of coats of this before it leaves the factory….https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-b-i-n-shellac-based-primer-sealer-1ltr/29661?kpid=29661&ds_kid=92700047154135765&ds_rl=1243321&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=CjwKCAiArY2fBhB9EiwAWqHK6oTRivzW-zz4S-rMCIZ8T8aLyPo1n56y4y3tuXvwcW6BufEKmzMjXRoCD8oQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

On 12/02/2023 at 22:20, team tractor said:

They say alu primer but we use water based Johnstones primer now with no issues . We always cross sand tho if it’s being painted . 
weird  as I’ve noticed a job last year that we didn’t touch at all that the paints not great on . 

Thanks. I’ve been doing this for the best part of 30 years, and have used bin primer and many others, but didn’t know the ( hopefully ) remedy could be aluminium primer. 

40+ years and City and Guilds apprentice in trade myself. Sadly YTS Schemes killed the trade apprenticeships. . . . . Aluminium always been a good go to primmer especially for hard woods. Dulux Preservative Primer good to. Low build, high solvent and great penetration. Have come across this problem myself.  Many seem afraid/fail to thin any primer coats to help it do it's important intended job of penetrating the surface to receive following coats. Including aluminium primer. When I've had this problem on various timber or joinery it has often had a waxy feeling dull sheen to it. Was told this may be lube/oil/wax used in the machining process by some to make it easier. Even WD40. This would explain the randomness of the problem in same batch etc. If left in the sun it seems to yellow a little and go. Can almost feel like primer is slipping off/over surface however it's preped at times. Really thinning any oil based primer helps penetrate whatever it is. Never seems  a problem with oil based stains though.             NB