Over ear protection for clays

TK421

Morning guys, I’ve been using in ear without issue for some time now, but I’m finding at certain grounds now the use baffle boards/ acoustic reflection and also some enclosed stands is generating that much reflected noise it simply over saturates the capabilities of my current in ear protection, so I’m going to have to double up.

after shooting certain grounds that have these enclosures more and more I was finding my hearing was impaired for a few days, sadly the damage is done and my existing tinnitus is already worse. It is what it is.  

I really don’t like anything on my head, I find over ears uncomfortable and distracting, but needs must and I’m now on the hunt for a set of over ear cans.

The usual brands appear, but I’m struggling to identify if the MSA Sordins and Swatcom are one and the same thing? They look the same, are the Swatcom the UK leg of the Sordins? 
if not which are better? Reliability and repairs if needed?

open to any advice on this one guys.

in other news, thank fk the suns come back out to play, roll on spring!

cheers guys

20 minutes ago, vmaxphil said:

I use pelotor sportacs in winter to keep my ears warm, battery's last for ever comfortable over glasses and not bad prices, customer service seems okay a friend had his go through a mower and they rebuilt them for £35 👍

A lawnmower 😂 I’m sure he still gets stick for that one. Great to hear they have good customer service . Did look at the sportacs, few blokes I shoot with use them, some have gone to the swatcoms as well. It’s a shame there isn’t any real single solution for ear protection for the considered regularity of competitive clay shooting. Don’t think I’d have any issue if I shot 100 birds a week, but as the weather turns and I ramp up my practice schedule I definitely now need to ramp up my hearing protection. Certainly don’t want this ringing in my ears to get any worse, it’s only just bearable now. 🤦🏻‍♂️

47 minutes ago, Westley said:

Howard Leight' s with gel ear cups for me. They have the best volume of sound, I have tried them all, but found the HL's suit me the best. Along with CFG electronics. 

Could you please tell me - do you have to buy the gel ear cups separately or do they come with those?

1 hour ago, Westley said:

Howard Leight' s with gel ear cups for me. They have the best volume of sound, I have tried them all, but found the HL's suit me the best. Along with CFG electronics. 

I’ve got a set of these, found they hit the stock so never used them out in the field. Sat brand new in the gun cupboard. 
just pressed the button on a set of Swatcom active 8’s. Tried a set on last week and shot with them without a problem, also just spoke with the UK distros who were very helpful in explaining everything. Worth a shot… 

The volume level is the highest factor for me, being already deaf. I have spent a fortune on saving what little hearing I have left. As I say, I have tried them all, but the HL are the loudest.

1 hour ago, Fellside said:

Could you please tell me - do you have to buy the gel ear cups separately or do they come with those?

No, I bought them separately off the bay. Around £10, if I remember correctly. 

40 minutes ago, Westley said:

The volume level is the highest factor for me, being already deaf. I have spent a fortune on saving what little hearing I have left. As I say, I have tried them all, but the HL are the loudest.

No, I bought them separately off the bay. Around £10, if I remember correctly. 

Thanks 👍

On 09/02/2023 at 08:06, TK421 said:

The usual brands appear, but I’m struggling to identify if the MSA Sordins and Swatcom are one and the same thing? They look the same, are the Swatcom the UK leg of the Sordins? 

if not which are better? Reliability and repairs if needed?

From Swatcom's website: 

Why do the SWATCOM Active8’s look just like the SORDIN/MSA Supreme headsets?
The SWATCOM Active8’s are manufactured for SWATCOM to our requested specification by SORDIN. After years of supplying SORDIN/MSA products, we decided to pick out the best parts of the supreme models over the years & compile them into 1 headset… The Active8.

I have a pair of swatcoms, I've only used them a couple of times. The only thing I can compare them too are my impact sports, they are a huge upgrade. 

3 hours ago, Fellside said:

I need an extra pair of electronic ear def’s as my son keeps pinching mine. These Howard Leight ones seem alright. I will order some - and the gel ear cups. Thanks very much for your help. 

👍👍   several of the guys I shoot with have the HL's  a lot of people complain that they hit the stock of their gun. None of ours do  ??

Edited by Westley

• 3 weeks later...

MSA Sordins for me with the gel ear pads - the gel pads provide an effective seal around your shooting glasses and are bearable on really hot days too.   I used Peltor Spottacs for a good 10+ years before - the Gels on the Sordin are in a different league and also don't give you a headache is worn for extended periods.   Prices vary wildly so its worth spending a while surfing the web for the best deal - less than £200 is a good target to aim for.