Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon - Classic

Lloyd90

Just shooting one at the local clay ground. Appear to be made 2015 - 3” chamber, steel proof … field model. 

I was going to buy the new SP III field but this seems very nice with grade 5 wood … think it’s about £1900 second hand … 

Any advice or experience of anyone having one? Before I get back to the club house and decide to buy or not. 

A68230F0-DDF4-432B-8E97-FBB08970446A.jpeg

11 minutes ago, old man said:

Not sure personally that's a good enough score to buy?

Doesn't sound instinctive shooting? Mine needed a comb raiser.

You don’t think? What score you reckon people would be nailing on an average course? 🤷‍♂️

Comb was good was able to hit some targets that I used to miss clean with my old sporter. 

Priced at £1995 … best they will do is £1900, won’t budge on that. 

9 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

You don’t think? What score you reckon people would be nailing on an average course? 🤷‍♂️

Comb was good was able to hit some targets that I used to miss clean with my old sporter. 

Priced at £1995 … best they will do is £1900, won’t budge on that. 

Apologies for the upset but you did ask?

FWIW personally less than 45 would not be instinctive enough for me to pay out that much.

54 minutes ago, old man said:

Apologies for the upset but you did ask?

FWIW personally less than 45 would not be instinctive enough for me to pay out that much.

No apologies needed, it was an honest answer and no upset was caused. 

I would say however, hitting 45/50 would likely be for me one of my best days shooting. 

Hitting 90%+, the first time you ever pick up a gun? 

I would also say it depends on the difficulty of the clay ground / setup etc. 

I could have hit 50/50 if I’d picked just easy stands but we notable did some difficult stands with longer range midi clays … which reduced the score a fair bit. 

There’s so many variables on different clays grounds I’m not sure saying hitting 45/50 first time out is a very accurate way to measure different guns 🤷‍♂️

11 hours ago, oowee said:

How can the value of a gun be determined by the score you get when you first pick it up? 

Just a personal thing I suppose. 

I know from experience for me that it's too easy to make adjustments to grip and stance to justify a shottie purchase. From that point I know if I pick up a gun that really fits I will hit about 75% of things I aim at clay wise.

Instinctive to me personally?

Wood like that to me would mean a cabinet queen not tool?

11 hours ago, old man said:
7 minutes ago, old man said:

From that point I know if I pick up a gun that really fits I will hit about 75% of things I aim at clay wise.

So 75% or 90%? Which one is your target for knowing a gun is for you?

4 hours ago, old man said:

Apologies for the rushed mistake, I meant 90% on instinct.

You’ve intrigued me now … if you shoot 90% plus with a gun you’ve only handled for the first time what do you usually shoot with a gun you are used to and had fitted etc? 

Id be over the moon with 90% regular lol