Hevi Shot 32g no5s

45 minutes ago, Fellside said:

I used it quite a lot on the foreshore when it first came out - it worked well enough. It was a dense tungsten alloy and distributed by Lyalvale Express. They stopped selling it a few years ago. If there is a new ‘Hevishot’ available now, I haven’t tried it yet. 

Never used Hevi-shot but used the other Tungsten one, Tungsten-matrix. 
Didn’t the Hevi-shot get a reputation for scoring barrels???

26 minutes ago, London Best said:

Never used Hevi-shot but used the other Tungsten one, Tungsten-matrix. 
Didn’t the Hevi-shot get a reputation for scoring barrels???

Yes some people talked about this problem - but it never happened to my gun. Whether it was because my barrels were chrome lined ….? No idea for sure. It certainly killed wigeon very well. 

10 hours ago, Fellside said:

Yes some people talked about this problem - but it never happened to my gun. Whether it was because my barrels were chrome lined ….? No idea for sure. It certainly killed wigeon very well. 

Thanks for the info. I don’t have ant chrome lined barrels. Not shot a Wigeon now for thirty years!

9 hours ago, islandgun said:

Heavier than lead, and easy to crush with pliers, I opened a cartridge or two to have a look, worked on Greylag

Isn’t it the Tungsten Matrix which crushes, rather than the Hevi-shot?
Last Greylag I shot was with 25 gram of Tungsten Matrix 5’s from a 2 1/2 inch 20 bore.

49 minutes ago, London Best said:

Thanks for the info. I don’t have ant chrome lined barrels. Not shot a Wigeon now for thirty years!

Isn’t it the Tungsten Matrix which crushes, rather than the Hevi-shot?
Last Greylag I shot was with 25 gram of Tungsten Matrix 5’s from a 2 1/2 inch 20 bore.

No it was the Lyalvale Express I still have the boxes somewhere

Hi tungsten matrix will crush flat easier than lead . Hevi shot is very hard and won’t crush with pliers. Yes express makes hevi shot Gamebore (Kent cartridges) made tungsten matrix . I’ve had no problem with any of the (hard ) type of shot . I have used them in plastic and cardboard wads with no problems . I have used number five hevi shot, in 20 and 28gauge , not used them in 12 gauge,l found them very good. 32grams of five shot should be a good cartridge. The cartridges with 32 grams of one or three shot had to few pellets the pattern failed before the energy of the pellets. 

2 hours ago, Gas seal said:

Hi tungsten matrix will crush flat easier than lead . Hevi shot is very hard and won’t crush with pliers. Yes express makes hevi shot Gamebore (Kent cartridges) made tungsten matrix . I’ve had no problem with any of the (hard ) type of shot . I have used them in plastic and cardboard wads with no problems . I have used number five hevi shot, in 20 and 28gauge , not used them in 12 gauge,l found them very good. 32grams of five shot should be a good cartridge. The cartridges with 32 grams of one or three shot had to few pellets the pattern failed before the energy of the pellets. 

As far as i remember these express hevi shot didnt just crush they crumbled, tungsten ? they were sintered /shaped there was a fair bit about them on line  https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/hevi-shot-usage.315190/ answer six

Edited by islandgun

Hi the hevi shot is rough it could cut through the wad. The tungsten matrix is soft. I have 12 gauge cartridges loaded with both types of shot. I take out the shot when l need it and load 28 and 20 gauge cartridges. I enclose photos of both types of shot for you. When the original hevi shot was first sold if it was loaded with the wrong wad the pellets that were fused together would penetrate through the wads. When I shot geese with hevi shot it made a bigger wound than lead because of the shape of the pellets.

6F147BD7-00C1-4A2E-8277-806D64E9F756.jpeg

1E8C9853-7B1F-4647-8F10-7048712CF780.jpeg

6 hours ago, Gas seal said:

Hi the hevi shot is rough it could cut through the wad. The tungsten matrix is soft. I have 12 gauge cartridges loaded with both types of shot. I take out the shot when l need it and load 28 and 20 gauge cartridges. I enclose photos of both types of shot for you. When the original hevi shot was first sold if it was loaded with the wrong wad the pellets that were fused together would penetrate through the wads. When I shot geese with hevi shot it made a bigger wound than lead because of the shape of the pellets.

6F147BD7-00C1-4A2E-8277-806D64E9F756.jpeg

1E8C9853-7B1F-4647-8F10-7048712CF780.jpeg

I have similar boxes but the shot was round with a flat band, because of its softness i wanted to know if i could reload it to  be used in my old Wild s/s fowling gun they would have been more like bismuth not like your odd shape [balls 😉]

1918764382_thumbnail(77).jpg.8344e41cdaf50e8c82ae189851883509.jpg1950999586_thumbnail(76).jpg.52f73b7a3155cb9d1ecd8be4bec6d5a3.jpg

Hi Fellside yes it did change ( shape)to pellets with a band, it’s changed again to a round pellet. The cartridges in the photos are the new improved cartridges, the pellets with the band, it gives the size in mm on the cartridges that would be impossible with the original hevi shot. The pellets in the photo are power shot . Hi islandgun if it’s hevi shot you will be reloading you would need the correct wad and it’s recommended to use open chokes with  hevi shot. If it’s ITM pellets it’s more( like )reloading  lead and good for loading in 10 and 8 gauge . Another pellet with a band is ITX I don’t know if it’s sold in commercial cartridges. grahamch maybe referring to the original hevi shot, the new improved hevi shot I have is 31 and 34gram loading .

3D255747-17A7-4E62-B24A-21DC1B892914.jpeg

F90C265D-96E3-456E-B659-4EB4113C522D.jpeg

1 hour ago, Gas seal said:

Hi Fellside yes it did change ( shape)to pellets with a band, it’s changed again to a round pellet. The cartridges in the photos are the new improved cartridges, the pellets with the band, it gives the size in mm on the cartridges that would be impossible with the original hevi shot. The pellets in the photo are power shot . Hi islandgun if it’s hevi shot you will be reloading you would need the correct wad and it’s recommended to use open chokes with  hevi shot. If it’s ITM pellets it’s more( like )reloading  lead and good for loading in 10 and 8 gauge . Another pellet with a band is ITX I don’t know if it’s sold in commercial cartridges. grahamch maybe referring to the original hevi shot, the new improved hevi shot I have is 31 and 34gram loading .

Thanks for that - didn’t know they were selling them again. I bet they cost a king’s ransom….?! I remember when using them years ago, it was hard to make the pattern spread, i.e they were very tight patterning. I’m sure this was due to them being denser than lead. I ended up using cylinder chokes. Even then, they would kill ducks at good ranges. 

5 hours ago, Gas seal said:

Ive loaded ITX with good results, my last loads have been TSS 7# which worked brilliantly with  20 and 28 bores. I haven't tried C&G power shot

Hi Fellside I don’t think they are made now. I have hevi shot and ITM cartridges and use the shot for reloading. I don’t know if ITM is made any more. I have ITM shot and hevi shot I bought years ago for reloading. The hevi shot cartridges did pattern well with open chokes. I only use these shots for geese. In 2005 the hevi shot cost £28 per kg . I can’t remember what the cartridges price of the cartridges were. 
Hi islandgun  I also loaded tss 7 shot in 28gauge it is brilliant. A lot more cartridges can be made with tss than power shot per kg and the tss lighter load will be a better cartridge. I wonder what the next type of shot will be.