BBQ + mutton

mattsccm

Dad has given up his sheep and being wierd things, Dartmoors , they are hard to shift. The ewes may go but that bloody wether is good only for eating. Now, I have a BBQ planned😀BBQs for me are a big stone hearth in our woods, fed with very dry hardwood. Brilliant for chops and stuff like that, acceptable for processed muck like burgers and sausages, dire for veggies who don't like things being prodded with an old bayonet. 

Any bright ideas as to how I could combine this wether with the BBQ? Chops yes but what about something bigger? 

Your thoughts please.  Not sure that shoving a spike up its bum and out its neck is going to work. Not everyone likes to slice their own food off the carcase. 

do it the old way ....dig a hole fill it full of hot embers...for 2 hours...rake out and line with large pebb;les from the fire....wrap your joints that have been marinating overnite in bacofoil....put in pit ...cover with more very hot stonews from the fire....cover with moss or bracken...then soil ontop.....leave for 2-3 hours....have a few beers ..then dig up and eat with a nice potatoe salad and greens etc..........

any good ?

As above, or off direct heat and cook a joint low and slow for 2 - 4 hours depending on size. I'd wrap in foil and add some olive oil to stop it drying out plus seasoning. Throw it on the hot grill for a few minutes at the end to crispen it up. Getting hungry just thinking about this!

9 hours ago, Houseplant said:

As above, or off direct heat and cook a joint low and slow for 2 - 4 hours depending on size. I'd wrap in foil and add some olive oil to stop it drying out plus seasoning. Throw it on the hot grill for a few minutes at the end to crispen it up. Getting hungry just thinking about this!

just thinking of my times in Turkey. As most of the time Lamb is actually Mutton.   Cooked low and slow 
Check out Uncles Hajji's Kitchen on youtube 

3 hours ago, mattsccm said:

Cheers. Better dig a hole I reckon.

mutton is a loverly meat,.....if you do it in a hole..... long and slow and marinated.....it will fall off the bone...and melt in your mouth...........go for it :good:ive shared a deer haunch done that way andb also a big lump of pig.................you cant go wrong...make sure the hole is nice and hot and dry before you put the rocks in from the fire...

Have a look at Kleftiko as well - the Cypriot way of doing lamb - translates to Lamb Stolen - if you know any Greek Cypriots call them a Klefty - The guy who now has our local chippy gets called that - he thinks I am joking but his prices are nearly double what his predecessors were and I mean it :)

1 hour ago, discobob said:

Have a look at Kleftiko as well - the Cypriot way of doing lamb - translates to Lamb Stolen - if you know any Greek Cypriots call them a Klefty - The guy who now has our local chippy gets called that - he thinks I am joking but his prices are nearly double what his predecessors were and I mean it

is that the way when they wrap it up in foil and put it in a very hot pizza oven and then block it up with mud or clay for 3 hours ?.....

3 minutes ago, ditchman said:

is that the way when they wrap it up in foil and put it in a very hot pizza oven and then block it up with mud or clay for 3 hours ?.....

They do now - but it used to be dig a hole in the ground and cook it while hiding it because it is stolen

The wife doesn't eat Lamb, but she loved Kleftiko - I never told her what was in it 🤣

Edited by discobob

4 hours ago, discobob said:

Have a look at Kleftiko as well - the Cypriot way of doing lamb - translates to Lamb Stolen - if you know any Greek Cypriots call them a Klefty - The guy who now has our local chippy gets called that - he thinks I am joking but his prices are nearly double what his predecessors were and I mean it :)

I was going to mention kleftiko. It's also made with goat.