Spring drillings it can be done!

flippermaj

As per a previous recent topic Spring drillings don’t really seem to offer much opportunity now a days.   However an afternoon wander about found a field with some birds on.   Wind was right in my face and I was back up against a young conifer plantation so it made fo some interesting snap shooting as they dived into the decoys from behind me giving little or no chance to see them approaching.  Good to have birds decoying though! 

AE44729A-23AC-4E17-91B2-483ED84CBCEE.jpeg

1 hour ago, pigeon controller said:

Well done for getting out, far to wet around us at present. Thanks for posting.

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, well done 👍, still to wet on the farm 🙄

2 hours ago, sam triple said:

Was meant to get on some mid March to wet to get on them and as there’s been no let up in the rain it’ll be at least another few weeks before I can provided it stops raining 

We thought we have had it wet but on the farming side the drilling have been going on when there have been a lull in the weather , only this last week one farm on ours have put in his Spring barley and another have just finished drilling his sugar beet , the only thing I am keeping my eyes on is when the Peas go in , should be any day now as last year they went in the 11th April , due to dry out a bit next week so hopefully the fieldsman from the Pea contractors will give the go ahead .

Yesterday afternoon I found a few on some short Clover , had a nice couple of hours before it clouded over yet again and got 13 when it got to my closing time at 5pm , packed up , got home and cleared everything away before the rain arrived which lasted most of the night , it is now nice and dry with the Sun out so we will see what the afternoon have to offer .   MM

21 hours ago, flippermaj said:

As per a previous recent topic Spring drillings don’t really seem to offer much opportunity now a days.   However an afternoon wander about found a field with some birds on.   Wind was right in my face and I was back up against a young conifer plantation so it made fo some interesting snap shooting as they dived into the decoys from behind me giving little or no chance to see them approaching.  Good to have birds decoying though! 

AE44729A-23AC-4E17-91B2-483ED84CBCEE.jpeg

One of the things I don't like when I am pigeon shooting is the wind coming head on into my hide ,  part of the enjoyment is watching the Pigeons from a distance and then changing course when seeing the decoys , when it is blowing in your face you sit there for ages and then from out of nowhere one come in from behind and if you are quick enough , which I am no longer , you can nail it in a split second , then the wait start all over again until the next one pay you a visit .

Many times I have decoyed the field next door so I have the wind on my back , this work a treat when the crop is short like Winter wheat or barley , sugar beet is alright but spuds I leave alone .

looking at your field you done well with the size of it , if the pigeons stay on it for a little while then try a hide in the field itself , you would be surprised how well that work with just nets .

GOOD LUCK .

54 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Screenshot_20230416_082444_Chrome.jpg.b1c1646693544db6eaf342fb1b0c102c.jpg

It was hurting my eyes😉

I miss coming to Scotland, i have family there and they have lots of permissions.

That's a lot better , I was thinking how do the boys up north defeat the force of gravity , then it dawned on me that the photo was upside down :good: