Been threatened with having my dog shot

Agriv8

I frequently have issues with dogs off the lead especially this time of the year where I work. The problem is simply that we as the land managers and the surrounding wildlife don't know which dogs are well behaved and will stay at heel and recall if needed. The main problem is other dog walkers see dogs off the lead and will regardless of how well behaved their dog is will let theirs off, so it is a case of following by example and one rule for all. 

I don't think it's wrong at all to question why a dog is off lead, and unfortunately it maybe useful to remind some people of the consequences. 

22 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Just had a run in with a farmers daughter on a walk over the tops

walk-in the spaniel over the moors on a public foot path that runs down into some fields no livestock about in the fields the path went through or fields to the left and right ( and all are usually been grown for first silage cut this time of year ) the spaniel had been cooped up all day so she was working left and right 20/30 feet and about 10 in front. There were some good smells about so good exercise and training!

got a bit closer and it became clear she was not happy so got to about 50/60 foot away and I whistles the dog In And put her on her leads ( she had an old lab  and ferret on a lead !) . 

her opening gambit was that her dad would have shot the dog if he was about!

to which i replied is your dad allowed to shoot a dog  if there are no livestock about ?

Her reply there are sheep in the next but one field ( a good 300 400 yards away ) so I tried to joke that I could see that - but I was more worried about my dog and the chickens in the same field !

She complained that my dog could worry the yews in lamb At which point I reiterated that it there were any livestock in the vacinity she would have been called in and put on a lead ! 

I added the dog  regularly works around sheep and lambs at the farm  I have permission to do pest control over but she still seemed to have a bee in her bonnet about dogs on leads on footpaths!

so decided to walk on and get home but it had me thinking about what’s the criteria that allows a farmer to shoot a dog ? Maybe not a clear cut as I thought 

Agriv8

are you sure that she was the farmers daughter.............the reason i say that is im sure a well informed farmers daughter (which they usually are) would not be so agressive.....and i find it difficult to believe that a farmers daughter would not be wandering the country side with an old lab and a feret on a string.......sounds all a bit weird

i rekon she was was a local greeny nutter worried thatyour dog was going to attack her vermin on a string ....... :hmm:

Well ditching that crossed my mind but she was very pleasant to the eye and the sort of lady that should be encouraged to wear riding jodhpurs! I will be enquiring with farmer mate who know everything farm related in the valley!

44 minutes ago, ditchman said:

are you sure that she was the farmers daughter.............the reason i say that is im sure a well informed farmers daughter (which they usually are) would not be so agressive.....and i find it difficult to believe that a farmers daughter would not be wandering the country side with an old lab and a feret on a string.......sounds all a bit weird

i rekon she was was a local greeny nutter worried thatyour dog was going to attack her vermin on a string ....... :hmm:

yes I think that’s sums the tread up nicely . I have sympathy for the farmers and most I come across are more than happy to have a chat and can spot a working dog whether sheep dog or gun dog ! I am aware dogs can be shot if among livestock and have no problems being challenged about my dog while walking through there farm - but maybe her statement that it would be shot with no livestock about took me by surprise and one that I wanted clarification on !

1 hour ago, Dasher said:

I frequently have issues with dogs off the lead especially this time of the year where I work. The problem is simply that we as the land managers and the surrounding wildlife don't know which dogs are well behaved and will stay at heel and recall if needed. The main problem is other dog walkers see dogs off the lead and will regardless of how well behaved their dog is will let theirs off, so it is a case of following by example and one rule for all. 

I don't think it's wrong at all to question why a dog is off lead, and unfortunately it maybe useful to remind some people of the consequences. 

44 minutes ago, ditchman said:
Edited by Agriv8

Talking about shooting somebody's dog is not the best way to start a conversation I completely agree. A dog can only be shot if actively worrying livestock, it cant be shot just in case it does.

Edited by Dasher
Added content

The dog should have been to heel or on a lead full stop.  I shoot a farm with footpaths everywhere and I have witnessed dogs 3=400yrds away from their owners. If you want to exercise or train your dog then ask permission.  Like a farmer friend I knew who saw a family having a right beano of a picnic in his uncut hayfield, kids playing football and all.  He asked them to leave and got a load of abuse.   His son followed them home and the next weekend the farmer and his wife set up on their front lawn to have a picnic.

My colleague had the job of sorting it out.

This one's simple.

The dog and walker shouldn't have been on private land.

The farmers daughter should not be making threats to shoot a dog that wasn't worrying live stock, if anyone had, they could have been prosecuted for criminal damage amongst other things.

There is also no need for a dog to be on a lead, providing it is under control and not in an area that falls under byelaws or other council control rules, although somewhat irrelevant to this situation as they shouldn't have been there.

Threatening to shoot a dog that isn't endangering sheep is dumb to say the least, all an unscrupulous person need do is claim they also threatened shoot them also and they're in a world of pain. That said, walking over others private land is also inadvisable.