cam belt fitted

mossy835

sounds like when the cam belt was fitted ...the tensioner was not tightened.........you are bloody lucky you havnt smashed a few valves....take a rusty spoon to the garage so you can use it to castrate the mechanic that played with it........................SHOCKING

they might have used a spurious part and it failed

18 minutes ago, RCB56 said:

Did the garage say it was the injector pump timing chain that failed, if this is the case there should be no damage to the piston and valves.

he just said it drove a pump. the chain is on the side of the engine at the bottom.

13 minutes ago, old'un said:

anymore news about your car?

got to phone on thursday

2 hours ago, mossy835 said:

Diesel yes,and chain for i think oil pump i think,

I think it is most likely the injector pump timing drive chain, if it was the oil pump the engine would keep running until it seized up.

whats the mileage on the cmax, mines done about 150k and had the cam belt done about 2 years ago, depending on the year they are fitted with either a wet belt or chain, mines got a chain so i didn't get it changed as they are less likely to snap than a belt. I guess you just got unlucky. It drives the injector pump btw.

3 minutes ago, paul1966 said:

whats the mileage on the cmax, mines done about 150k and had the cam belt done about 2 years ago, depending on the year they are fitted with either a wet belt or chain, mines got a chain so i didn't get it changed as they are less likely to snap than a belt. I guess you just got unlucky. It drives the injector pump btw.

its done 108k had a cam belt fitted,then this chain went, so its in having a new one.

I don't know the age of your engine, but will assume it's a pump to cam belt arrangement. Probably the easiest one out there to change with only two timing marks and a tensioner. Pump to crank is a wet belt and very, very rarely gives any trouble. If your belt has gone/broken/jumped it will be due to fitment and/or incorrect setting off the tensioner. You WILL have bent valves as Diesel engines are very tight regarding piston to valve clearances. This is assuming you have a diesel rather than a petrol engine, you haven't stated which.

7 hours ago, lurcherboy said:

I don't know the age of your engine, but will assume it's a pump to cam belt arrangement. Probably the easiest one out there to change with only two timing marks and a tensioner. Pump to crank is a wet belt and very, very rarely gives any trouble. If your belt has gone/broken/jumped it will be due to fitment and/or incorrect setting off the tensioner. You WILL have bent valves as Diesel engines are very tight regarding piston to valve clearances. This is assuming you have a diesel rather than a petrol engine, you haven't stated which.

this is Diesel.the cam belt was changed 3 weeks ago,the garage said the cam belt was still on,looks like the chain has broke.

Edited by mossy835