Vegan ..... meat products.!!

Minky

23 hours ago, Acerforestry said:

In our local Sainsbury's the knock-down section is always predominantly meat free alternatives, you wouldn't see the real stuff hanging around for more than 5 minutes

Yes, same here it always amuses me how much of it sits in the unwanted area!

A tangent I know, but I've just realised that one of the bags of dog kibble a colleague gave me because his dog wouldn't eat it is insect based. And we have the same in the pipeline for us, I think I'd sooner stick with the piece of venison tenderloin I had last night

10 hours ago, Scully said:

So it should be fairly easy for you then…..how many councils have removed meat and dairy from their offices? 

quite a few - I supplied evidence that it is happening - but yet you want the exact number - you go and count - I am not going to try and identify every single one for you.

England – there are 318 councils in England.

• 21 County Councils (upper-tier)
  • 164 District Councils (lower-tier)
  • 32 London Boroughs (unitary)
  • 36 Metropolitan Boroughs (unitary)
  • 63 Unitary authorities (unitary)
  • 2 Sui Generis authorities – City of London Corporation and Isles of Scilly (unitary)

Wales – 22 Unitary authorities

Scotland – 32 Unitary authorities

Northern Ireland – 11 Unitary authorities

46 minutes ago, discobob said:

quite a few - I supplied evidence that it is happening - but yet you want the exact number - you go and count - I am not going to try and identify every single one for you.

England – there are 318 councils in England.

• 21 County Councils (upper-tier)
  • 164 District Councils (lower-tier)
  • 32 London Boroughs (unitary)
  • 36 Metropolitan Boroughs (unitary)
  • 63 Unitary authorities (unitary)
  • 2 Sui Generis authorities – City of London Corporation and Isles of Scilly (unitary)

Wales – 22 Unitary authorities

Scotland – 32 Unitary authorities

Northern Ireland – 11 Unitary authorities

So how many have removed meat and dairy from their offices? You made the claim, not me. 
I phoned a few folk last night, one who works for the EA. I know she visits many councils as part of her job so just thought I’d ask her who exactly goes through her bag to ensure she is taking no meat or dairy products into their offices. She thought the idea was hilarious! The answer is none, as no one has that right. 
I also talked to another friend who is ( among with his wife ) a solicitor for one of the biggest firms in Cumbria. He and his wife also do much work for councils, and he told me that whilst some councils are trying to or have, created a policy of a vegetarian menu at official functions, in some schools or care home facilities within their remit, they have absolutely no authority to dictate to employees as to what they eat in council offices. 
So tell me, how many have removed dairy and meat products from offices? 

On 06/05/2023 at 11:12, Scully said:

So how many have removed meat and dairy from their offices? You made the claim, not me. 
I phoned a few folk last night, one who works for the EA. I know she visits many councils as part of her job so just thought I’d ask her who exactly goes through her bag to ensure she is taking no meat or dairy products into their offices. She thought the idea was hilarious! The answer is none, as no one has that right. 
I also talked to another friend who is ( among with his wife ) a solicitor for one of the biggest firms in Cumbria. He and his wife also do much work for councils, and he told me that whilst some councils are trying to or have, created a policy of a vegetarian menu at official functions, in some schools or care home facilities within their remit, they have absolutely no authority to dictate to employees as to what they eat in council offices. 
So tell me, how many have removed dairy and meat products from offices? 

So, councils refusing to serve meat etc isn’t “banning”? I never said anything about staffs lunchboxes- as I said and posted above links to relevant news articles on the subject but your very limited straw poll contradicts that so you must be right!!

10 hours ago, discobob said:

So, councils refusing to serve meat etc isn’t “banning”? I never said anything about staffs lunchboxes- as I said and posted above links to relevant news articles on the subject but your very limited straw poll contradicts that so you must be right!!

Well it’s not about who’s right or wrong is it? It’s about getting it right, or accurate. 
No, you never mentioned lunchboxes but you never mentioned ‘banning’ either. You stated meat and dairy were being removed from offices, which conjures up images of some dictatorial gestapo types going through office staff employees bags to ensure meat and dairy products are removed, and this isn’t the case; they simply just don’t have the authority to dictate what their employees bring to work as lunch. 
They can create a policy of only serving vegetarian/vegan meals in their meetings, schools and care homes, if that’s what they want to do, but that’s as far as it goes; they can’t stop anyone from eating what they want for lunch nor ‘remove’ it if it goes against that policy. Not according to those I’ve talked to anyhow. 

1 hour ago, discobob said:

@Scully - well - you went about the houses to get your viewpoint across - bit pedantic I must say - you have your viewpoint and I have mine. Lets leave it at than - you should let that bee that you have in your bonnet free from time to time

Not pedantic at all; us shooters ( well me anyhow ) don’t like it when people make all manner of incorrect accusations and claims about us and what we do, just to make a point, so we should endeavour to be as accurate as possible in the claims we make. 
You made it sound as if no one is allowed to eat dairy or meat in council offices ( or even premises for that matter ) or that it will be removed, and that simply isn’t the case. 

I’m a secondhand vegetarian. 

all the veg I need has been pre eaten, digested and formed into a respective animal that I can eat. The main one being cow. Then pig, and chicken close second. yum. 

I click and collect my shopping, and once found a pair of meat free burgers in my crate. Not on my list, so I hadn’t payed for them. I took them home and thought “why the hell not, free food is any man’s game!!”

oh how wrong was I?

the wife cooked one burger off for our young son. It stank the house out. She said it looked grim on the pan, while cooking, and the aftermath was a horror movie. Our son, 16months old at the time, refused to eat it. She offered it to our German shepherd, who abruptly left the room in a huff. 

the uncooked one got binned too. What a disgusting waste of material, whatever it is they use. 🤮

Quorn is not vegan due to the egg whites in it.

I met an x neighbour I hadn't seen for a couple of years. He was a young fit healthy lad with glowing skin and shiny hair. When I met him again his eyes were sunken, his skin pale and hair lank. He looked bloody awful with his suit hanging off him. I was sure he had some terminal illness (not exaggerating at all) and  I didnt want to ask. He soon told me he was vegan (due to peer pressure) and "never felt better". He looked like death. In fact I've seen people very near death that look a lot better. 

Another occasion on my return to the office i was asked what the soup was. I replied i had no idea as i had a bacon sandwich. The lady told me to never mention bacon to a vagan and i politily asked her to not question me about soup when my bacon sandwich was getting cold. She was most upset but didn't ask again. 

It's not for me, I don't know one vegan/veggy dish that can't be improved with meat. I don't force vegans to eat meat and I'd appreciate it if they don't try and lecture me about eating it.