.270’s

Fargo

4 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

They shouldn't be, it is a great calibre.  I have the same rifle in 6.5 x 55 and had hoped it was worth double what you are asking, it shoots sublimely.  It might be the condition of the bolt putting people off, can't you clean it up?

Yes I was thinking of taking it to a local gunsmith this week and see if he can buff it up or something. Rest of the gun is mint. I did have one offer from a shop for “export” supposedly but a fair chunk lower than advertised for.

Many years ago in the city in an indoor range a piece of bank glass was tested with .22rf.32acp,38 special, 9mm ,357 magnum ,45 acp ,44 magnum with not really a lot of damage but then the rifles came out 5.56, 270 ,7.62 ,303 ,45-70 ,416 rigby with a lot more damage but the only one to make a hole was the .270.

Yes, excellent round but it doesn't shoot that much flatter than anything else in that class at normal stalking ranges in normal stalking conditions.

Some folk feel recoil more than others and if that is a problem then the 6.5x55 or the 257Roberts is a better bet and will kill things equally as well if you do your job properly.

4 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Nothing is selling at the moment. The market is completely stagnant 

That seems to be true . Sold a EELL 28” game for £1500 and was lucky to get that it seemed . 

My first full bore rifle was a BRNO 270, way back in 1969. I think it was a model 600.

It had BRNO scope rails machined in to the top of the action, and the only scope mounts I could get were Parker Hale.

They had to be quite high to clear the bolt, so you never got much of a cheek weld.  The recoil nearly put me off 270 for ever,, but a friend advised on grinding down the bolt handle, and getting lower scope mounts. This seemed a bit drastic on a new rifle, but it worked like a charm.  I used that rifle for 30 years, with a simple 4X32 Japanese scope, which I thought was a great improvement on open sights.. 

If I hadn't been advised to alter the bolt handle and fit a lower scope mount, that could have been the early demise of the 270 with me.! 

On 09/05/2023 at 10:30, Fargo said:

That seems to be true . Sold a EELL 28” game for £1500 and was lucky to get that it seemed . 

True that’s some bargain for someone to buy EELL AT that price you sold it for definitely a buyers market 👍

On 08/05/2023 at 21:59, Walker570 said:

Yes, excellent round but it doesn't shoot that much flatter than anything else in that class at normal stalking ranges in normal stalking conditions.

Some folk feel recoil more than others and if that is a problem then the 6.5x55 or the 257Roberts is a better bet and will kill things equally as well if you do your job properly.

But it does shoot flatter and faster than most Walker

And it also gives you that bit of margin for error if you dont quite do thinks right.

Its also ideal if you want to stalk bigger game