Coursing

Fargo

Anyone enjoyed coursing before the ban?

Always fancied a Russian Borzoi after having a go in Hungary after Hare.

Not talking about based up Honda 4x4 with scuzzers in sportswear poaching but proper old coursing. Few local traditional estate owners used to have a few meets on their respective estates back along .

Used to attend meets up on the Cotswolds many moons ago, a time when I owned racing Greyhounds as well.

Most Hares escaped through portholes built into the cotswold stone walls,

This was all under Coursing club rules, and a good spectacle, I would say most Hares escaped, they knew the ground better than their persuers.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

I went to meets of the North Lincs. Coursing Club a few times. 
A good day out.  Sadly missed.
I recall one meeting with 32 hares coursed and only 2 killed. And one of those ran into a fence post and killed itself!

We used to have the Swaffham Coursing Club come down to ours each year and I went on every one they had , we used to get paid at whatever the beaters rate was at the time , nice to see it all in operation but apart from beating for the day I wouldn't been interested enough to have my own dogs , number wise was about the same , we got all the courses in and I can't remember more than two on a day killed and one of those was ran over on the road , it came to a close when our boss was concerned with all the motors that used to go down the various lanes and tracks and I believe he stopped them coming on the estate before it was banned for good . 

44 minutes ago, ilovemyheckler said:

Are there any videos on YouTube of "proper" coursing?

Not sure about any videos on You Tube but you can see plenty of photos on Swaffham Coursing Club web site , one photo show a full size poster on the side of a van stating Bollxxx To Blair , I very much doubt you would get away with that this day and age .

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

Not sure about any videos on You Tube but you can see plenty of photos on Swaffham Coursing Club web site , one photo show a full size poster on the side of a van stating Bollxxx To Blair , I very much doubt you would get away with that this day and age .

I would tell him to his face.

15 minutes ago, yates said:

Utterly barbaric in this day and age. No point or purpose 😒

Bit like releasing 1000’s of pheasants into a condensed area and blasting them out of the sky for sport?

Then dumping the birds into a pit in the ground? 😬🤷‍♂️👀

You can spin different sports anyway you like. Men hunting with running dogs has been done for thousands of years. 

It also picks off the weaker or older animals and the young ones get away. 

It’s far more justifiable than driven game shooting, stop kidding yourself! 

Edited by Lloyd90

15 minutes ago, yates said:

Do you shoot pigeons or anything ? What happens when you wound one and it flies off. That’s barbaric too

Bit like Halal slaughter. The only traditions we seem keen on keeping are imported ones.

I had the privilege to attend the last Waterloo Cup. The antis won the day and no more coursing. Within a week over a thousand hares were disposed of as they no longer served any purpose. I'm sure the hares were grateful to the antis.

11 hours ago, Fargo said:

Do you shoot pigeons or anything ? What happens when you wound one and it flies off. That’s barbaric too

Totally agree with you there, I had quite a moral dilemma before deciding just to shoot clays. However that is my personal decision and still i support shooting to protect crops and the birds end up in the food chain. 

11 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Bit like Halal slaughter. The only traditions we seem keen on keeping are imported ones.

I had the privilege to attend the last Waterloo Cup. The antis won the day and no more coursing. Within a week over a thousand hares were disposed of as they no longer served any purpose. I'm sure the hares were grateful to the antis.

I agree with the Halal slaughter point. However why were any Hares dispoved of? They are part of the countryside and should have been left to exist as part of the natural food chain and ecosystem. No need for any deaths, particularly as the Hare population is in decline. I dislike the antis as much as anyone but using a dog to chase and terrify an animal for the purpose of entertainment is a thing that belongs in our past.  If the dog was being used to put food on the dinner table I would totally get that point of view

My point is that whether you agree with hare coursing or not, it is part of our heritage - albeit one which some object to. The hares lived a normal life with a minute chance of being caught by a dog. The odds were very heavily stacked in the hares favour. The same applies to fox hunting - not my cup of tea, but I did not watch or partake. 

I don't agree with halal slaughter, the banning of Morris dancers, bull fighting, but these things still happen. The vegans who wear leather goods and say that no creatures were harmed by growing vegetables.

There has been a growing intolerance of British traditions, but tolerance of things which offend me. The beginning of the end when a Sikh was allowed to wear a turban instead of a crash helmet. It was ludicrous, but the onset of wokeism.

4 hours ago, yates said:

I agree with the Halal slaughter point. However why were any Hares dispoved of? They are part of the countryside and should have been left to exist as part of the natural food chain and ecosystem. No need for any deaths, particularly as the Hare population is in decline. I dislike the antis as much as anyone but using a dog to chase and terrify an animal for the purpose of entertainment is a thing that belongs in our past.  If the dog was being used to put food on the dinner table I would totally get that point of view

That’s exactly what they banned, men and women with Lurchers and long dogs going back many generations, banned from going out and catching game for the table.