Bird ID.

powler

Hello, had a trail cam out on a fence post in the Monmouthshire countryside and got some nice shots of the local redstart family with guest appearances from the inquisitive cattle but I have noticed what looks like a bird of prey about to land on a tree stump in the near background, the camera is set to take two photos and a 10 second video, the video shows nothing but the first picture shows the bird about to land and you can see a bird shadow on the lower left, second picture the bird is gone.

Any idea what the bird is?

First picture below

1.JPG

First picture zoomed in.

1 (2).JPG

Second photo, showing the bird has flown.

2.JPG

Edited by powler
typo

From my own observations, there does seem to be a lot of 'variation' on kestrels.  I don't know if this is m/f variations, or adult/junevile variations, but the pinky brown (not dissimilar to colour on a jay) is usually what confirms it for me.  It is difficult to be certain as like many birds it is also flight and behaviour that confirm the static visual ID.  The very still hovering with quick jerky location changes is another frequent kestrel 'identifier' for me.  Wonderfully agile fliers.

5 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Not kestrel. No bar patten. Another redstart.     NB

You could be right, the bird looked to me to be landing on the tree stump but could be a lot closer to the camera, which would make it smaller than I first thought and possibly a female redstart.

22 minutes ago, powler said:

You could be right, the bird looked to me to be landing on the tree stump but could be a lot closer to the camera, which would make it smaller than I first thought and possibly a female redstart.

Yeah another Redstart, there is no way that the other Redstart ( The Male ), would be sat on that post ,if that was a BOP coming in to the scene.