Young Labrador dog ready to stud

2 hours ago, sam triple said:

My young black lab dog is ready to go to stud , 2 years old , eyes clear , hip , elbow scoring excellent ( BvA scored ) KC registered excellent pedigree pm me for more details, cheers 

2 years old!! Is he not a bit young? He has another while to go yet to prove  he's worth putting on a bitch. 

12 minutes ago, Krico woodcock said:

2 years old!! Is he not a bit young? He has another while to go yet to prove  he's worth putting on a bitch. 

4 minutes ago, sam triple said:

How old is too old or too young , scoring was done at recommended age , or so I’m told , genes are genes 

Only throwing my 2p in as you have specifically asked. 

Considering dogs take about 2 years to get out of puppyhood, and a good while to be (properly) trained, personally I would then expect them to have around 2 seasons of work under their belt to fully develop and see what they’re properly made of. 

There are some dogs out there that are quality and fully trained before the age of 3 but not many dogs are (again only in my view).

My view of a fully trained dog is one that is also suitably experienced in the field. 

I recently saw an advert for a “fully trained” Lab that was 9 months old, so as we can see people have very different ideas about what trained means. 

Genes may be genes as you say Sam but how much work has the dog genuinely done? 

He may be fully proven in the field in which case noting that would enhance your advert 👍🏻

Alternatively if he happens to be “Fox Red” then forget genes and working ability as they’ll be queueing up to use him regardless 🤦‍♂️🤣🤣

58 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Only throwing my 2p in as you have specifically asked. 

Considering dogs take about 2 years to get out of puppyhood, and a good while to be (properly) trained, personally I would then expect them to have around 2 seasons of work under their belt to fully develop and see what they’re properly made of. 

There are some dogs out there that are quality and fully trained before the age of 3 but not many dogs are (again only in my view).

My view of a fully trained dog is one that is also suitably experienced in the field. 

I recently saw an advert for a “fully trained” Lab that was 9 months old, so as we can see people have very different ideas about what trained means. 

Genes may be genes as you say Sam but how much work has the dog genuinely done? 

He may be fully proven in the field in which case noting that would enhance your advert 👍🏻

Alternatively if he happens to be “Fox Red” then forget genes and working ability as they’ll be queueing up to use him regardless 🤦‍♂️🤣🤣

Well I had him with me and my older dog with me last season , on pigeon , beating and backing up on pheasant and duck , he retrieved duck from water and pheasant from thick undergrowth, and I believe he’ll only get better as time goes on 

father a field trials champ mother long line of working dogs from a reputable breeder who works his dogs and won’t sell to a non working home 

1 hour ago, sam triple said:

Well I had him with me and my older dog with me last season , on pigeon , beating and backing up on pheasant and duck , he retrieved duck from water and pheasant from thick undergrowth, and I believe he’ll only get better as time goes on 

father a field trials champ mother long line of working dogs from a reputable breeder who works his dogs and won’t sell to a non working home 

He sounds good Sam 👍🏻definitely get better as he gets more seasons under his belt mate. 

In my experience a lot of people seriously looking for a stud dog like to see ft status or to have heard good words about the dogs abilities in the field. Whilst you may not be able to achieve the first of these you need to go about building the dogs reputation in the field. You have to remember you have the easy bit. It’s the owner of the bitch that has the tough job of selling the pups on. At present up here there is a glut of pups, including reds so breeders need something that really sells not just doe eyed pups, especially if going to a working home.

Good luck nonetheless!

On 26/05/2023 at 18:46, sam triple said:

How old is too old or too young , scoring was done at recommended age , or so I’m told , genes are genes 

That's fair enough.. I wouldn't dream of putting any 2 year old dog on a bitch.  Never mind paying for a service of one.  I have never put a dog on a bitch until he was at least 5 years old, But it was always to try and improve the breed/ keep good strong lines alive.  Never was for financial gain..

But good luck with your dog in the future.

I doubt anybody would look to use your dog if it's not dna tested for at least PRA CNM SD2 & EIC. Whilst I agree with health testing, it's screwing the gene pool up as folk won't keep carriers in the gene pool. The modern labrador pedigree would have looked very different if they'd know about carriers 25 years ago, most of the prolific dogs would never have got a stud.

Dog market these days seems to revolve around colour (fox red) & health tests, working ability does't seem to come into it. The days of everybody going to the latest FTCH appear gone as well, it all seems to revolve around who has the best social media. 

Pup market's currently screwed, there's a glut of pups about. I'm seeing a lot of sly advertisements on facebook, not only for pups but a lot for older ones that have been kept back. 

On 01/06/2023 at 22:32, PERCE said:

I doubt anybody would look to use your dog if it's not dna tested for at least PRA CNM SD2 & EIC. Whilst I agree with health testing, it's screwing the gene pool up as folk won't keep carriers in the gene pool. The modern labrador pedigree would have looked very different if they'd know about carriers 25 years ago, most of the prolific dogs would never have got a stud.

Dog market these days seems to revolve around colour (fox red) & health tests, working ability does't seem to come into it. The days of everybody going to the latest FTCH appear gone as well, it all seems to revolve around who has the best social media. 

Pup market's currently screwed, there's a glut of pups about. I'm seeing a lot of sly advertisements on facebook, not only for pups but a lot for older ones that have been kept back. 

"Kept back" ... aka couldn't sell them the first time round :P 

• 1 month later...
On 03/06/2023 at 14:42, Lloyd90 said:

"Kept back" ... aka couldn't sell them the first time round  

Nail hit firmly on the head there.  

On 01/06/2023 at 22:32, PERCE said:

Pup market's currently screwed, there's a glut of pups about.

Sad to say but a very true statement.

As for the OP I have no opinion as I don't stud or have a bitch to produce pups. Nor do I have the time or space for it. 

13 minutes ago, PERCE said:

Just looked on gundogs direct, new listings in the first 5 days of July - 32 labrador litters, 40 cocker litters, 11 springer litters & 8 various others.

How many of those 91 litters do you recon were bred because; 

A: The bitch was extensively worked in the field, &; 

B: was so good the owner thought it would better the breed as a whole. 

48 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

You've more chance of getting something from proper working stock on there rather than some of the other popular alternatives.

5 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

In my circles I would say A pretty common, particularly with the breeder wanting another dog or dogs out of that line or other pickers up wanting them because of proven ability..

B I would say almost never.

6 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

In my circles I would say A pretty common, particularly with the breeder wanting another dog or dogs out of that line or other pickers up wanting them because of proven ability..

B I would say almost never.

At least they’re being bred out of actual working stock, with the owner intending to keep one they must know the bitch is up to the job. 

Most times if bitch and dog are top class working dogs,  and if there is a litter , most,  if not all pups will be gone, no need to advertise.. I see also that there's breeders over in uk that do pre book,  pre order pups deposit to be paid, long before there is a mating!!  Now they must be some clinkers of dog's 

3 hours ago, Krico woodcock said:

Most times if bitch and dog are top class working dogs,  and if there is a litter , most,  if not all pups will be gone, no need to advertise.. I see also that there's breeders over in uk that do pre book,  pre order pups deposit to be paid, long before there is a mating!!  Now they must be some clinkers of dog's 

Here in the Scotland there is a surplus of good working Labrador pups. I have a few pals with pups that I would gladly have but they cannot sell to the point where they have been given away to people they know will work them! 

I am going down that road with lab dog. He is 4 years old end July. Health tests coming up. my preference too wait till now. He has 2 good seasons under his belt as young dog. Its like getting your first pup. Take your time and let the dog grow. Each to there own though.