First Youngster This Year To Go Into The Bag .

marsh man

You know the Summer is here when the the first young Woopd Pigeon goes into the bag , yes I know some of you will say you have had them earlier but this is the time of the year when you expect to get the first one , we are still a few weeks away from the bulk of young ones going into the bag and I normally find it is around the end of July on the Rape stubbles , nearly forgot to say the young un was shot this afternoon on Peas .

Hope you all have a good weekend no matter what you are doing .:good:    MM 

9 hours ago, Morkin said:

Well done MM, I haven't had one myself yet, but I've seen a couple on a little garden plot I have down the farm, it's next to the village🤔🤞👍

We have half a dozen Pigeons come into our garden virtually every morning and we normally see a young un following it's parents anytime soon , up to now , no.

I did see a Mallard down the marsh this morning with a good brood of ducklings that were well over half grown and they must had survived a lot of cold and often wet days , good luck to them and I hope they don't get over shot when the new season roll round again .

Thread hijack sort of. Following on from an article on breakfast wokedom TV this morning: when do wood pigeons start building nests in trees? Reporter said some town had to keep its Xmas tree up as a Woody had built a nest in it in January, which I though a tad early?

20 minutes ago, Diver One said:

Thread hijack sort of. Following on from an article on breakfast wokedom TV this morning: when do wood pigeons start building nests in trees? Reporter said some town had to keep its Xmas tree up as a Woody had built a nest in it in January, which I though a tad early?

They have been known to bring off their brood of two in every month of the year, so January is not too uncommon. Sometimes up to 5 broods a year.

OB

22 hours ago, marsh man said:

You know the Summer is here when the the first young Woopd Pigeon goes into the bag , yes I know some of you will say you have had them earlier but this is the time of the year when you expect to get the first one , we are still a few weeks away from the bulk of young ones going into the bag and I normally find it is around the end of July on the Rape stubbles , nearly forgot to say the young un was shot this afternoon on Peas .

Hope you all have a good weekend no matter what you are doing .:good:    MM 

What was the final bag MM ?

I have pigeons sitting on eggs in a rowan tree in my garden - not seen many young birds on the wing.

Hopefully I will be shooting next Thursday or Friday over peas - after a long period of inactivity.

Hitman

5 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

They have been known to bring off their brood of two in every month of the year, so January is not too uncommon. Sometimes up to 5 broods a year.

OB

Thanks for that! I know nothing of these matters as I only shoot 'clay ashtrays'

it just sounded like a council cop out to me, so maybe not.

1 hour ago, the hitman said:

What was the final bag MM ?

I have pigeons sitting on eggs in a rowan tree in my garden - not seen many young birds on the wing.

Hopefully I will be shooting next Thursday or Friday over peas - after a long period of inactivity.

Hitman

Evening Hitman ..... We have got five Pea fields with a few going on each one , we should have had six with the best one ( to me ) was going down on the marsh land but it got really wet all Winter and after a wet Spring it never dried out enough , the Pea contractors gave it till the end of May and after that it was to late as the viners would had been out of the area .

Number wise it have been very low and the bag that inclued the young Pigeon was nine , we have an agreement on the estate that if I am going at least once a week , or there abouts they are happy to leave the gas guns off , I also have a standing order for 25 Pigeons every two weeks at the local pub , from early March I have managed to get them although they have all been made up of small bags , I leave mine at just after one pm and I have always been home before 5pm so I am normally shooting for 2 / 2 1/2 hours , the fields get a shot or two fired over them in rotation so all of them get just over a week rest before I have another little go , the Peas are getting tall now and you need cradles to show them above the plants , these are Flexi coys and my shell decoys are light enough to put them on top of the plants without any supports , still , now the weather is warming up I potter about in the mornings and I go out every afternoon either shooting or just having a look , hard work I know , but somebody have to do it :lol:

23 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Evening Hitman ..... We have got five Pea fields with a few going on each one , we should have had six with the best one ( to me ) was going down on the marsh land but it got really wet all Winter and after a wet Spring it never dried out enough , the Pea contractors gave it till the end of May and after that it was to late as the viners would had been out of the area .

Number wise it have been very low and the bag that inclued the young Pigeon was nine , we have an agreement on the estate that if I am going at least once a week , or there abouts they are happy to leave the gas guns off , I also have a standing order for 25 Pigeons every two weeks at the local pub , from early March I have managed to get them although they have all been made up of small bags , I leave mine at just after one pm and I have always been home before 5pm so I am normally shooting for 2 / 2 1/2 hours , the fields get a shot or two fired over them in rotation so all of them get just over a week rest before I have another little go , the Peas are getting tall now and you need cradles to show them above the plants , these are Flexi coys and my shell decoys are light enough to put them on top of the plants without any supports , still , now the weather is warming up I potter about in the mornings and I go out every afternoon either shooting or just having a look , hard work I know , but somebody have to do it :lol:

Glad your getting out and getting a few.

The peas locally are all vining and are drilled and harvested in rotation. I have 2 fields very local to me which are only an inch or so above ground- hopefully I will have a report to share later this week.