Took me a while.

muncher

I have been shooting a farm for about 4 years now after taking a decade to get the confidence of the farmer to allow me to shoot it. The farm is very large and has an abundance of pigeons, but I have really struggled to do any good on this farm, my best being 60. I have been watching his pea fields and the numbers have built up nicely, so last Sunday I had a little go and managed 0, birds all over just couldn’t get them to decoy. Today in the strong  breeze I decided to try again.  I set up with the wind coming from my left almost into my face, against a pylon with some Elder bushes growing underneath.I set up this way as there’s a main road about 100 yards behind it and the pigeons seem to like it near the road. I had two birds for the rotary and a few half shells. I was ready about 10 o’clock and soon had my first customer in and down. The birds quite often came from behind and needed to be ready for some snap shots. I had about 40 down when  my brother came  to join me for the afternoon. The pigeons came in flurry’s and as we have shot together for decades, he would take the lead bird and I would have the rear bird. This way in the strong wind we maximised i chances. Around 3.30 we decided they’d had enough so we picked up and collected 143. I was happy to let the farmer know how we’d done and at last had managed to produce a big bag. 

IMG_2647.jpeg

Arfter getting 0 on your previous vist  that was quite a contrast and a well deserved bag , we are getting a very slow build up but nothing on that sort of scale , what stage are your Peas at up your way  ? , ours might be a another week before they come into flower   MM 

21 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

Very well done muncher, sounds like you and your brother had a fantastic day! And obviously patience and persistence paid off 👌🏻

We certainly did thank you. 

21 hours ago, ditchman said:

top banana well done ......nice to see your posts again  :good:

I never sure if anyone is interested!

13 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

Well done brilliant result, worthy of the effort involved. It’s nice to know that there are numbers of birds in certain areas, we seem or Bunny_Basher finds isolated flocks to have a go at then they move on. Thanks for reporting.

When we left yesterday, a field about half a Mile away was covered with pigeons. Hopefully it will shoot again, the main problem is that farmer plants in massive blocks and as you know it’s easier on smaller plots. We did manage a 103 a couple of weeks back on some set aside. 

1 minute ago, marsh man said:

Arfter getting 0 on your previous vist  that was quite a contrast and a well deserved bag , we are getting a very slow build up but nothing on that sort of scale , what stage are your Peas at up your way  ? , ours might be a another week before they come into flower   MM 

This fields peas are about 8 inches high I’d say. The amount of pigeons around this area is staggering couple of winters ago a rape field in this area had more pigeons on it than I could even estimate, it was phenomenal, he was pulling his hair out.