Crayfish

wymberley

On 09/06/2023 at 20:12, muncher said:

Not a single mention of mit crabs. My local rivers are swarming with them. 

Yep, rife in the Thames and as for the Signals, ruining every river and most lakes that I know over. All of the Lea Valley pits, bar one or two are stuffed with 'em. Have to use plastic baits for the carp as they devour everything else.

On 11/06/2023 at 17:57, Wymondley said:

It appears the suspension of granting crayfish licences has been lifted! or so it seems from the EA website.

Good news for me as I have access to a clean stretch of water that has a decent population, free food.

I think they're absolutely delicious, I used to net some in a local stream but it was a bit hit and miss as the bulk of them are in a (private) spring fed lake.

Check out the excellent Scott Rea on youtube for some trapping/cooking ideas.

It seems frond upon to forage for free food now the amount of folk that look dont there noses your picking those nettles why ??

The Canal and River Trust are happy to electro fish for Zander which they sell in Bishopgate fish market as they are the same species as Bass. This is a total money earner, mention Crayfish or Mitten crabs which burrow into the banks in winter and they have no program. This info came from a trust employee who was walking the canal bank as I walked the dog. They can fish the canals as they are narrow the river Severn and Warwickshire Avon , no. It would appear that now they are a charity and not Government run they can do what they like. The lure Anglers who pay to fish for Zander still have the occasional electro fish after assurance that they will not do it, but when funds grow low after fleecing boaters and fishermen who care’s. They should perhaps sell permits for the mad cyclists who insist on racing along the tow path. 
When I was a lad only horses and walkers were allowed on the tow path at 4 MPH, if cyclists want to race go on the road or are they frit !!!!

1 hour ago, pigeon controller said:

The Canal and River Trust are happy to electro fish for Zander which they sell in Bishopgate fish market as they are the same species as Bass. This is a total money earner, mention Crayfish or Mitten crabs which burrow into the banks in winter and they have no program. This info came from a trust employee who was walking the canal bank as I walked the dog. They can fish the canals as they are narrow the river Severn and Warwickshire Avon , no. It would appear that now they are a charity and not Government run they can do what they like. The lure Anglers who pay to fish for Zander still have the occasional electro fish after assurance that they will not do it, but when funds grow low after fleecing boaters and fishermen who care’s. They should perhaps sell permits for the mad cyclists who insist on racing along the tow path. 
When I was a lad only horses and walkers were allowed on the tow path at 4 MPH, if cyclists want to race go on the road or are they frit !!!!

The dirty food chain:

(In more ways than one)

1. The ignorant dog owners of the Midlands throw their poo bags into the signal Cray infested canal network.

2. The Cray's just love those poo bags.

3. The Zander eat the Cray's.

4. The CRT's chosen electrofishing contractor, MEM fisheries (coincidentally founded by the current CRT chief fisheries officer) are paid to catch the Zander and get paid twice by selling said Zander to dealers at Billingsgate market.

(Coincidentally, when electrofished 'to remove Zander', specimen carp and pike also tend to disappear from the canals.)

5. The Zander are then sold to London restaurants where they are sold as "sea bass" to customers who have no idea they are enjoying recycled Leicestershire dog poo...

Nice.

17 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Pedant moment 😁. Not the same species, but the same genus, Perciformes (perch like fishes), having two dorsals, the leading one being spike rayed.

As for the CRT 🤬

Edited by Penelope

• 3 months later...
On 09/06/2023 at 20:44, ditchman said:

well if you stopped eating 400 year old femented shark that smells like rotton cheese and dead bodies and went for something wholesome like crayfish pizza...thatwould make a difference

i mean to say what has some poor old deepwater shark ..that was swimming about in the time of Henry the 8th...ever done to deserve being hunted by earstwhile vilkings ..eh ?

....:good:

Think its norway for formented shark 🥴 

Crayfish are a delecasy one of The best shellfish there is to eat. Just my opinion not to mention very very expencive.. Sounds like lock ken and places like it could be a gold mine 🤠. Cost around 20 quid a pound here and most of The Crayfish in The shops here are imported from China..  As is most things 🥺

The bottom line maybe shows the lack of trust shown over the issue of licences?

Officialdom would seemingly rather sponsor the total demise of our natives by inaction than risk a few licenced operators being illegal?

Edited by old man