Grass seed.

samboy

One of my daughter`s dogs recently had to have a grass seed taken out of his ear by the vet. Not sure how much, but two people later said that if not extracted, it could end up in the heart. 

Is that a possibility and if so, how?

I cannot see that the inner ear is connected in any way to the heart, but there again, I`m not a surgeon:no:

OB

Took the two lurchers for there boosters the vet said that red patch  on her nose needs further investigation could be serious (it was less than a 5p ) I said its because she eats grass when shes out two weeks later her nose was fine 

Mate took his dog to the vet to get a tick removed £79 

At least **** turpin wore a mask 

On 08/07/2023 at 08:52, Old Boggy said:

One of my daughter`s dogs recently had to have a grass seed taken out of his ear by the vet. Not sure how much, but two people later said that if not extracted, it could end up in the heart. 

I cannot see that the inner ear is connected in any way to the heart, but there again, I`m not a surgeon

OB

Not sure about heart but they definitely have a habit of ‘migrating’ and causing all sorts of problems for dogs. 

Have seen many with major vet bills and surgeries just trying to find the seed and get it out, then deal with the infection aftermath. 

On 08/07/2023 at 08:52, Old Boggy said:

I cannot see that the inner ear is connected in any way to the heart, but there again, I`m not a surgeon:no:

OB

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Not sure about heart but they definitely have a habit of ‘migrating’ and causing all sorts of problems for dogs. 

Have seen many with major vet bills and surgeries just trying to find the seed and get it out, then deal with the infection aftermath. 

I cannot see how it would directly migrate to the heart as it would have to enter the circulatory system which is already a closed system in mammals. The middle ear in humans and canines are not directly linked to the circulatory system. I suppose in a very rare but unlikely circumstance a foreign body could migrate through an artery wall, but arteries are made to be very, very strong and keep almost everything out as it is absolutely imperative that the blood is kept super clean, foreign body and pathogen free. 

The seed would first have to penetrate the ear drum via the outer canal, then into the middle ear, it would have many structures to pass through until it could access an artery or the outer muscle of the heart.

I can understand from what you say Lloyd how some seeds and thorns can end up deep in the outer outer canal causing distress and infection which can also spread into the middle ear and beyond causing complications. Must be poor misery for animals when they get one.

I am asked to remove foreign bodies on a fairly regular basis from childrens and adults ears and they come in all shapes and sizes. The foreign bodies range from plastic beads to lego, blue tac, sweets, pasta to ear buds that have come off headphones and hearing aids and also the occasional insect and seeds. The organic ones without doubt give rise to more inflamation and subsequent risk of infection. 

In work we see plenty of foreign bodies from metal, wood and glass injuries and would say to have seen a small amount over the years that have migrated from from the original site. Once removed a glass foreign body from the back of a hand which to all knowledge had entered the palm several years before from a glass injury and was about 5cm distal from the entry scar if I recall. It had virtually broke the skin on the dorsum aspect of the hand and was smooth in texture and had lost any sharpness that it once had. Fascinating!

Had some one in who had said they rang spec savers as the spec saver hearing aid bud had come off in the ear, alleged was quoted £95 for urgent appointment to remove it. I soon had it out and on their way.

I should start charging. LOL!

As you say Lloyd seeds like many forieign bodies can migrate through tissue

But seriously, this time of year we all need to check our dogs for grass seeds after a walk in the country, checking between the toes is most important.

This stuff (Brome) is particularly nasty, it grows everywhere. If it punctures a dog's skin it travels in the dogs body, it can only go forwards (pointy end first.) If your pet gets it (or part of it) in the foot it can travel up the legs and to who knows where. If you are "lucky" it enters the web between the toes and erupts from the top part of the web.

image.png.cd6e3bf3ed1220231afbc22c6b078414.png