Notifying police on purchase of section two shotgun?

DannyT

Hi all,

Quick question, I have an FAC and a SGC, over the weekend I purchased my first section two shotgun. 

Do I need to send the firearms team an email with my details and the gun details etc (like when buying a firearm) or is it not necessary for a section two shotgun?

Thanks all  

The notification requirements are EXACTLY the same as on your FAC and, indeed, are printed on each page that has "Table 2" printed on it on your FAC.

Within seven days you must notify make, calibre (ie 12, 16, .410 bore or whatever), type (that is side by side, over under, single shot single barrel or self-loading s2, or pump action s2) and serial number. Telling them your name, address and SGC number and the date acquired. You should also advise who you acquired it from and their "authority to possess" which would be the RFD or SGC number and issuing force area exactly as they wrote in that in each box in Table 2. However you do NOT need to send in your SGC to them when you do this.

It can be done either by postal service using Recorded Delivery or Special Delivery or if abroad an equivalent service or "electronically" which is by email to a recognised email address for that the police force that issued your SGC.

Edited by enfieldspares

Word of warning. If you inform your constabulary of the transfer by email-keep a record (paper or electronic) of the receipt you receive in return to which confirms they've got it and also the email you sent. Sometimes emails get lost in cyberspace and you will always be the one to suffer.

Few years ago i bought a rifle and my dealer friend convinced me to do it by email. So i did and thought no more about it. Several weeks passed and i got a call from licensing but i was driving so unable to pick up. 

Later that day dealer friend rang me to say that he'd had a frantic call from licensing claiming i had not informed them of the transfer of rife. Trouble is im analy retentive with paperwork and printed the receipt to say i had sent it and also the automated receipt they send to say they have received. 

I have a box file purely for gun purchases & transfers. I can supply details/receipts etc for each and every if need be.

8 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Yes use the online form, keep a note of the reference number & do not use email. Emails are sent in plaintext entirely unencrypted. It’s the equivalent of writing your SGC details on the back of a postcard. Why it’s allowed in 2023 baffles me.

Dorset, Devon & Cornwall insist you use their online form. It works fine and you get an email notification. The email notification does list all the details you've provided though in plain text, including DoB, full name, address etc!

1 hour ago, Windswept said:

Dorset, Devon & Cornwall insist you use their online form. 

+10 points

1 hour ago, Windswept said:

It works fine and you get an email notification. The email notification does list all the details you've provided though in plain text, including DoB, full name, address etc!

-15 points!

You couldn't make etc