Re germination

Yes. 

But most of it will turn black and go mouldy or sprout on the plant first rendering it useless . 

Look at the rape fields a couple of weeks after combining and discing a carpet of green growth. 

Most round here were sprayed off 3 weeks ago they've gone into the rape but some is just to wet at the stalks and clogging the combines its mainly chopped for geen matter nowadays. 

Barley is the problem at the moment they need to get that off to get the rape in and get it going it gives it more chance against flea beetle. 

I presume you mean whilst the corn is still standing and the corn is still in the ears?

I dare say its possible if it rained every day for the next month but I have never seen corn germinate whilst it is still standing and like you have been fortunate to have shot some corn fields that could not be combined because of water logged fields, I think the seeds need to be in constant contact with moist/damp conditions/soil to germinate.

Mind you I don’t think there will be much chance of it as a lot of farmers are just going for it between the rain showers, was out yesterday and one farmer was combining a wheat field but it will need to go in the drier as the grains were soft to the bite.

One thing that will be different this year from last will be the rape fields will be Green before a lot of them are even cut , last year with the constant hot / dry days the rape was cut and the loose seed just laid there dormant for days if not weeks on end without germinating , certainly won't be the case this year .

Edited by marsh man

Just now, marsh man said:

One thing that will be different this year from last will be the rape fields will be Green before a lot of them are even cut , last year with the constant hot / dry days the rape was cut and the loose seed just laid there dormant for days if not weeks on end without germinating , certainly won't be the case year .

There was a field of rape combined last week, Went to look at it yesterday and it was a carpet of green.

Biggest problem is the laid barley it becomes a wet carpet and the machines they have now are so heavy they can get stuck quite easily. 

I remember in the eighties two fields of beans were still there all winter is was so wet so it's nothing new. 

29 minutes ago, old'un said:

I presume you mean whilst the corn is still standing and the corn is still in the ears?

I dare say its possible if it rained every day for the next month but I have never seen corn germinate whilst it is still standing and like you have been fortunate to have shot some corn fields that could not be combined because of water logged fields, I think the seeds need to be in constant contact with moist/damp conditions/soil to germinate.

Mind you I don’t think there will be much chance of it as a lot of farmers are just going for it between the rain showers, was out yesterday and one farmer was combining a wheat field but it will need to go in the drier as the grains were soft to the bite.

Yes , the crops I shot in the past were standing with the ears sprouting due to the constant rain and the combine not able to work the land to to the incline.

Thanks for your replies.

3 hours ago, old'un said:

There was a field of rape combined last week, Went to look at it yesterday and it was a carpet of green.

Never done a lot of good on rape stubble once the seed have germinated , maybe there are a lot better items on the menu than green leaves , the wheat on the marshes are normally the last grain fields to be cut along with the Winter beans , this year our Peas are also going for seed , these are now turning Yellow and would be about 2 / 3 weeks from being ready , so with with wheat , beans and pea seed you can see why the pigeons give the green rape stubble fields a wide berth , other people who haven't got the same volume of various crops might find this is not the case , but around here that is how it is .

Edited by marsh man

29 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

Yes , the crops I shot in the past were standing with the ears sprouting due to the constant rain and the combine not able to work the land to to the incline.

Thanks for your replies.

well it looks like you have answered your own question then? :) Must say I have never seem it.

My limited understanding is that in wheat bread making quality falls dramatically if the seed in the ear starts to grow (something to do with hagbergs) and wheat goes from milling quality to feed wheat therefore losing premium price and quality for brewing falls if the same thing happens in barley.

Edited by JDog