Something to seal gutter leaks from the underside?

sandspider

Cheers MM. I'll try JKD's suggestion of a seal supplier, then the waterproof tape over the (cleaned and dried) joins. Or / and CT1. If that doesn't work I'll bite the bullet and try and replace it myself... (It's ground level, so access isn't too difficult - I just fear the rotten wood and bodges that might be behind the gutter!)

1 hour ago, sandspider said:

Cheers MM. I'll try JKD's suggestion of a seal supplier, then the waterproof tape over the (cleaned and dried) joins. Or / and CT1. If that doesn't work I'll bite the bullet and try and replace it myself... (It's ground level, so access isn't too difficult - I just fear the rotten wood and bodges that might be behind the gutter!)

I think to replace it first as last is the best solution in my opinion. Just take your time. 

Edited to say I've never had any long term success bodging dripping guttering. 

Edited by harrycatcat1

If you say you have got easy access then it's a no brainer , guttering is made nowadays for d i y , you can get a catalouge from most suppliers or it's dead easy to look on line , you could even take a drawing with the measurements to the suppliers and they will give you enough brackets , angles , stop ends , running outlet and guttering , then while at it you can renew your down pipe so it fit your new running outlet , I might be out of touch with the priceing but I would have thought around £100 for materials and getting someone in to do it I would think around £150 / £200 for labour at the most as it don't look more than a days work .

Good luck whatever you decide .      MM

Thank you, will see what I can manage. 👍

The problem will be that with these designs of guttering, they are fixed to the frame first, then the roof goes on. Meaning that the fixings aren't always visible/reachable 🙈

6 minutes ago, JKD said:

The problem will be that with these designs of guttering, they are fixed to the frame first, then the roof goes on. Meaning that the fixings aren't always visible/reachable 🙈

Ah well in that case I would just put a bucket under the dripping gutter if it can't be bodged 👍👍👍 job sorted 👍 

10 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Ah well in that case I would just put a bucket under the dripping gutter if it can't be bodged 👍👍👍 job sorted 👍 

That's just being defeatist 🤷🤔🤣

If sandspider Googles "conservatory guttering" many options are available for the replacement 👍😁

Edited by JKD

1 hour ago, JKD said:

Yes, this is a problem - the gutters were screwed directly to the faces of the tops of the walls (there's probably a better term!) and then the roof sheets put down on top, so the roof sheets overhang the gutter a fair bit. Waterproof tape is on its way, will see what I can do if we get a few dry days.

The old standby at one time in the past was "BostiK" black guttering sealer, Dont know if you can still buy it but, it did a great job and, with practice you could also get a good smooth finish with it.  I seem to recall it could be overpainted with colour to suit the rest of the guttering.  Only problem is that memory is from some time ago now

Pushkin:good:

8 hours ago, Pushkin said:

The old standby at one time in the past was "BostiK" black guttering sealer, Dont know if you can still buy it but, it did a great job and, with practice you could also get a good smooth finish with it.  I seem to recall it could be overpainted with colour to suit the rest of the guttering.  Only problem is that memory is from some time ago now

Pushkin:good:

Would that be Bostik Flashband?
I’ve used that successfully on a sloping slate roof that met an upright pebbledashed wall. I found by heating it up with a hot air gun it stuck like the proverbial to a blanket and could be moulded to the irregular surfaces. Not sure if it could be painted though.

It could just be a quick fix to the underside of Sandpiper’s guttering until perhaps a better solution or total replacement can be done.

I await JKD’s comments on my suggested ‘bodge’😂. Come on Chris, I can take constructive criticism 😂

OB

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

Would that be Bostik Flashband?

It could just be a quick fix to the underside of Sandpiper’s guttering until perhaps a better solution or total replacement can be done.

I await JKD’s comments on my suggested ‘bodge’😂. Come on Chris, I can take constructive criticism 😂

OB

NOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!! 😣🙄🥴😁😂🤣

24 minutes ago, sandspider said:

I used flashband in the past to fix a leak in the roof. I didn't find it stuck at all well, even heated up - but once I managed to wedge it in place it worked really well.

I have the tape now, just need the rain to stop and the gutter to dry out a bit. Ha!

Typical 🌧️🌧️🌧️🤭😂 Keep us updated 😉

7 minutes ago, sandspider said:

Tape received and applied. Better, but now leaking from other areas. Looks like a replacement it is!

Where's the best place to buy gutters and fittings from? Cheers.

Is it possible to take a section off to photograph it and the fixing area ? Perhaps at the highest point, furthest away from the outlet 😉

The gutter is just screwed straight to the top of the wooden "walls". I think it's beyond patching (it was pretty bad when I cleaned it up) and I'd rather spend the time replacing it. Hopefully better!

Best to try asking a local conservatory manufacturer/fitter. Would probably be the best option 😉