Problem

foxshooter69

I’ve just acquired an old Side by Side, I’ve gone to break it down and I can’t seem to get the barrels off the action. The side lever breaks the gun but there doesn’t seem to be any spring/resistance in it, it will not then push across any further to allow me to detach the barrels. Any help is much appreciated 

Cheers

Guess. 

There is a 'peg' on the knuckle of the forend that operates the extractors (i.e. lifts them as the barrels drop) via a rod/flat 'guide'.  To remove the barrels, the peg needs to clear the rod/guide that operates the extractors.  Some are just a rod (similar to a more modern hammerless gun) but some have a loop/slot.  Some William Powell hammer guns (for example) have a slot in a flat guide plate.  If the extractor rod has a loop/slot, the removal of the barrels involves both 'unhooking' at the joint pin whilst simultaneously lifting the loop/slot off the peg.

It is a guess, but there is a slight 'knack' in removing the barrels on a non ejector Powell - and it could get hard if the extractors were stiff.

With the gun open, whilst trying to draw the barrels backwards, push the extractor back in (e.g. push it in with your thumb).

It also sounds like a new top lever spring may be needed?

Looks like the  top lever spindle is broken if the action could be opened the bottom bight retracted I would have suspected a simple top lever spring but the top lever is not retracting. time to speak to a gunsmith. repair parts are not available and would have to be made. Is the gun worth it? The fellow in the above is not giving good advice in my opinion he has not mentioned chamber length, and low brass shells can be quite high pressure. especially the low cost ones sold just before hunting season opens in the States. They are typically 1 1/8 oz 3 dram loads(max CIP) ok for a new semi auto but a bit too hot for that gun . I check Guns with the fore-end off for looseness and to see if they are on face 

Edited by simcgunner

1 hour ago, simcgunner said:

The fellow in the above is not giving good advice in my opinion he has not mentioned chamber length, and low brass shells can be quite high pressure. especially the low cost ones sold just before hunting season opens in the States. They are typically 1 1/8 oz 3 dram loads(max CIP) ok for a new semi auto but a bit too hot for that gun . I check Guns with the fore-end off for looseness and to see if they are on face 

It is amazing the number of people who make instructional videos on subjects they know very little about.