MOT question

ditchman

15 minutes ago, Sweet11-87 said:

solid fail as its a safety component

might not be the airbag though, can be shock sensor fault, bad electrical contact, possibly even a battery issue.

Either way its a failed MOT and basicaly a resit so might aswell get it checked on a diagnostics machine first.

cheers

54 minutes ago, ditchman said:

when the airbag light is showing on the dashboard ..is that an 

1. an MOT filure
  2. or a pass with an advisory ?

Cover the light with a piece of black insulation tape.🤡

No joke. In 2007 I bought a new car with a good discount which did not include a part ex of my battered mondeo. So sold it to a dealer just as the orange engine management light began to show. The insulation tape worked a treat.

I took my Honda CR-V to two different m o t stations in two years with the air bag light on , the first one turned it off while he done the m o t and it passed the test , last year I took it to a different garage as the chap who done my motor booked me in a late morning time slot , left it with them for a good hour and when  I  came back it was still on the ramp , I asked him how it got on and fully expected him to say it needed a fair bit of work , instead it passed with flying colours and the red air bag light had a bit of Black tape covering the view , so yes it can pass but it would depend on what garage you took it to .

P S ... Sold the Honda two weeks ago with the air bag light still glowing brightly with the Black tape still covering it up .  MM

22 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I took my Honda CR-V to two different m o t stations in two years with the air bag light on , the first one turned it off while he done the m o t and it passed the test , last year I took it to a different garage as the chap who done my motor booked me in a late morning time slot , left it with them for a good hour and when  I  came back it was still on the ramp , I asked him how it got on and fully expected him to say it needed a fair bit of work , instead it passed with flying colours and the red air bag light had a bit of Black tape covering the view , so yes it can pass but it would depend on what garage you took it to .

P S ... Sold the Honda two weeks ago with the air bag light still glowing brightly with the Black tape still covering it up .  MM

I would ring and tell the buyer MM 

How would you feel it it deploys and causes a crash or even worse perhaps - does not deploy in a crash ?

Not worth potentially hurting someone for a few quid 

No issue whilst you did it and drove it like it as you knew the risks - the buyers does not 

Just now, jall25 said:

I would ring and tell the buyer MM 

How would you feel it it deploys and causes a crash or even worse perhaps - does not deploy in a crash ?

Not worth potentially hurting someone for a few quid 

No issue whilst you did it and drove it like it as you knew the risks - the buyers does not 

No problem , I sold it to the garage who I bought my motor from , he pointed it out and I told him that it had been through two m o ts and neither one gave it a mention . :good:

8 minutes ago, marsh man said:

No problem , I sold it to the garage who I bought my motor from , he pointed it out and I told him that it had been through two m o ts and neither one gave it a mention . :good:

Have a look at my thread on the 18th October 2021 about the air bag light on during a M O T

thats not passing an MOT that taking it to a dodgy garage. By law it cannot pass if the Airbag warning light, ABS light or brake fluid level light is on.

7.1.6. Supplementary restraint system (SRS)

The SRS MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) should only be failed if it is indicating a system malfunction. A lamp illuminated to indicate the passenger airbag is disabled is not to be regarded as a defect.

Warning messages on dashboard displays are not a defect in their own right, but may assist the tester in determining that the warning lamp is illuminated because a malfunction exists.

Defect                        Category
(a) An SRS malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) indicates a system malfunction                    Major

2 hours ago, Sweet11-87 said:

thats not passing an MOT that taking it to a dodgy garage. By law it cannot pass if the Airbag warning light, ABS light or brake fluid level light is on.

7.1.6. Supplementary restraint system (SRS)

The SRS MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) should only be failed if it is indicating a system malfunction. A lamp illuminated to indicate the passenger airbag is disabled is not to be regarded as a defect.

Warning messages on dashboard displays are not a defect in their own right, but may assist the tester in determining that the warning lamp is illuminated because a malfunction exists.

Defect                        Category
(a) An SRS malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) indicates a system malfunction                    Major

That might well be the case , I can understand I might had picked one ( dodgy ) garage but two tottally difference garages both let it go and I got the motor passed at both garages .

Why would they pass it if they knew it should had been a total failure ? , what have they got to gain as they would still get paid if it passed or failed and why risk there testing station licence ? , if they fail it on the air bag light then it could give them more work if you didn't want to take the car away from the garage to get someone to carry out the repair , so I cannot see why they should be classed as ( Dodgy ) M O T Testing Stations .:hmm:

1 hour ago, Sweet11-87 said:

We’ll mainly because it’s a major fail, it’s obvious and it’s been passed one even went so far as to try and cover it up.  Yeah it’s great that they saved you a few quid and the headache but what else have they “missed”.  That’s why I think it’s a dodgy garage. 

I’m very much with you on this one. 
If there is anything wrong with my vehicle then I want to know about it.