Fleas

Lloyd90

The old girl that had the farm here used to keep a collie or two in one of the back rooms of the old farmhouse here which had a not very good brick floor. When we bought the place and started renovating, we often brought stuff in via the back door into that room, the vibration and heat caused all the thousands of flea eggs that were laying dormant in the floor to hatch. That was an infestation and a half. You could walk into that room with wellies on and watch what looked like a black tide of fleas jump onto and start crawling up your boots. It was spring and the weather was warming up, we had to have the entire place fumigated and it took them several visits over an extended period to break the cycle. I also bought a big sack of diatomaceous earth [DE] and put a two inch layer over the whole floor in that back room and left it down for two or three weeks. I'm a bit wary of some of the chemical treatments although have used many. I still use [DE] to dust the dogs down a few times a year too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/09/2023 at 11:11, Lloyd90 said:

Well despite using Seresto tick and flea collars the 2 springers have managed to pick up fleas. 

To be fair they last 7-8 months and I usually don't bother with them over the shooting season so they've normally worn off around this time of year. 

Have ordered 2 new collars but any other tips to clear the little ******* out (The fleas, not the springers!). 

Wash all beds on a hot wash? Get flea powder on the carpets? Anything else? 

Hi Lloyd, I'm sure it's sorted it, but out of interest did the bravecto do the trick?

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Yes mate I think so not noticed any fleas since 👍🏻

Excellent, glad your sorted, it's a very effective treatment, I haven't seen any resistance to it yet, but I always keep my ear to the ground just incase, as manufacturers never like to admit it. I remember when some fleas started showing resistance to front line (active ingredient fipronal) the manufacturer denied there was any issue for ages, despite people's dogs crawling with fleas, even after treatment. I hate fleas almost as much as ticks!

On 30/09/2023 at 22:00, Lloyd90 said:

Yes mate I think so not noticed any fleas since 👍🏻

Lloyd, I'm glad to hear the bravecto is working.  We have 3 dogs and this year we had an ongoing and frustrating battle with fleas.  After constantly bombing the house and treating the dogs with over the counter treatments, we get some bravecto from the vets when one of the pups went for her vaccinations.  Admittedly the bill was a tad painful but the end result was a real winner.  especially after the vet explained that there was no reason to treat the house any more as the dogs will effectively hoover up any remaining fleas and kill them in due course.  

1 hour ago, loriusgarrulus said:

When Frontline stopped working in my area I swapped to Advantage spot on. Not had a flea problem since. 

You can buy it online. I dose the dogs from around March till around October depending on weather.

My only issue with that treatment and why I don't use it is if your dogs spend alot of time swimming, or you bath them frequently it can be ineffective.

On 01/10/2023 at 00:07, 12gauge82 said:

Excellent, glad your sorted, it's a very effective treatment, I haven't seen any resistance to it yet, but I always keep my ear to the ground just incase, as manufacturers never like to admit it. I remember when some fleas started showing resistance to front line (active ingredient fipronal) the manufacturer denied there was any issue for ages, despite people's dogs crawling with fleas, even after treatment. I hate fleas almost as much as ticks!

She found 1 flea on the one dog, and 1 flea on the other dog since I posted that 🤣

She wasn’t impressed but I told her that’s how the pill works, they’ll be dead within a few hours (I hope!). 

Baby arrives tomorrow! 

8 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

She found 1 flea on the one dog, and 1 flea on the other dog since I posted that 🤣

She wasn’t impressed but I told her that’s how the pill works, they’ll be dead within a few hours (I hope!). 

Baby arrives tomorrow! 

Congratulations hope all goes well tomorrow.

Yeah they should be picking up any in the area and they'll be dead shortly, it might go on for a while if there's eggs to hatch out, but your dogs movement should get them all hatched and killed, particularly as it'll be fully protected for 3 months 🤞

Edited by 12gauge82