Lied to by NRW Ranger

WalkedUp

Just got back, been out feeding all day with my three boys and the dogs. I’ve got just enough energy to bite….

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

JDog has in the past joined in the disagreement and is obviously trying to stir things up.

I don’t see how this can be inferred, but as I cannot see your original message it looks a mystery that’s not worth solving. 

unjustly dictating how he should behave with a dog

We have laws, you obey the law it’s that simple. Dogs should be under close control at all times in public. I have never disagreed with that. If there was a bylaw to do so I would have happily complied. That my compliance was bought through deceit angered me. 

I think it's fair to say walked up and myself have opposite views on how dogs should be managed

I don’t imagine that we do. You’d be welcome to come out with me if you would like to see how I work my dogs.

21 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:
23 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

You don't half seem to have some dramas for someone who has well behaved dogs.

I work dogs and have had a dog with me most days for getting towards two decades. Unfortunately if you put in those sorts of hours in the different environments I do then it’s going to happen.

1 minute ago, WalkedUp said:

Just got back, been out feeding all day with my three boys and the dogs. I’ve got just enough energy to bite….

I don’t see how this can be inferred, but as I cannot see your original message it looks a mystery that’s not worth solving. 

We have laws, you obey the law it’s that simple. Dogs should be under close control at all times in public. I have never disagreed with that. If there was a bylaw to do so I would have happily complied. That my compliance was bought through deceit angered me. 

To be fair my original message was probably uncalled for which is why I withdrew it, although it was not meant to be offensive in anyway, I didn't even call you conceited so I don't know why JDog posted that.

To be fair I agree with your last paragraph, my original post was pointing out you were imo rightly annoyed at being told to do something you didn't lawfully have to do and the fact your dogs are well trained anyway, I just thought it ironic due to your past views on others dogs on here.

2 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I work dogs and have had a dog with me most days for getting towards two decades. Unfortunately if you put in those sorts of hours in the different environments I do then it’s going to happen.

Fair enough, I have dogs with me 24hrs a day 7 days a week, not your average dogs either and I never seem to encounter problems, but perhaps it's the areas we go, you just seem to have had alot of dramas.

1 minute ago, 12gauge82 said:

To be fair my original message was probably uncalled for which is why I withdrew it, although it was not meant to be offensive in anyway, I didn't even call you conceited so I don't know why JDog posted that.

To be fair I agree with your last paragraph, my original post was pointing out you were imo rightly annoyed at being told to do something you didn't lawfully have to do and the fact your dogs are well trained anyway, I just thought it ironic due to your past views on others dogs on here.

Looks like we have both had time to reflect (me with the Ranger, you with the deleted post) and can both give ourselves a wry smile at how we get so wound up over life’s trivialities. 

1 minute ago, WalkedUp said:

Looks like we have both had time to reflect (me with the Ranger, you with the deleted post) and can both give ourselves a wry smile at how we get so wound up over life’s trivialities. 

Very true, I hope we have simply misunderstood each others posts in the past and taken each others words too literally.

I would have been annoyed if someone had told me to put my dog on a lead also, particularly as all my dogs will reliably do a blind down stay with distraction for 15 minutes without moving a muscle, or focus heal past anything I want them to with absolutely no fear of breaking for sheep or anything else (although I would put them on a lead if in the same field as livestock, simply not to worry the farmer). 

21 hours ago, marsh man said:

I would be far to old to let it bother me if a ranger or whatever you call these wardens asked me politely to put me dog on a lead and I would comply without giving it a second thought , it would have to be for good reason as my dog haven't got a bad bone in his body and to me is well behaved , if the chap demanded and laid down the law then things might be different , I think you use a bit of common sence if you have to walk near livestock and slip the dog on the lead , this in turn look better to the land owner or other people who have got a dog that could run loose .

👍

I am afraid I totally sympathise with the Ranger here. Slightly off topic, but I fish on a United Utilities owned reservoir.  There is a dam at one end, which is CLEARLY and well signposted as NO ENTRY EXCEPT FOR ANGLERS.  This is to try and avoid anyone being injured by backcasting anglers, who may be rightly fishing off the dam. There is a clearly marked public footpath to the side of the dam. I regularly watch 'doggy walkers' and hikers, opening the gates and accessing the dam, totally ignoring the signs on the gate of NO ENTRY. As a member of the angling club, I have tried to reason with these people as to the dangers of walking behind fly fishermen, on many occasions. Only on the very rare occasion will I get an apology, usually it ends as either a total ignoring of the fact I am even there, or a lecture on their viewpoint of "A right to roam"  !   Having spent my entire working life of 50 plus years dealing with Joe Public and the Ranger has my sympathy. 

On 23/09/2023 at 22:40, Miserableolgit said:

I can see the logic in what appears to have been a polite request, while your dogs may be impeccably behaved animals belonging to Joe Public are often less so. Instead on insisting on "rights" I would have smiled, complied and if, after a day or two I still felt strongly enough, submitted a written formal complaint.

Years ago I may well have been a bit hot under the collar about it but now I hope, or at least try to have more respect for my blood pressure. Life really is too short 😉

I dont have dogs but I agree with this post. Why make such an issue over nothing. just leash your dogs for a while and everyones happy, the ranger probably has bad experience with dogs worrying sheep and is just being belt and braces.

I think this thread was blown up out of proportion a fair bit , Walked Up was no doubt having a bad day  , which we all do at times and on a different day this would have never ended up as a thread , so if we do get approached by a land owner , keeper or a ( warden ) to ask you to keep your dog on a lead while walking where livestock are grazing then as long as he is requesting in a decent manner then just comply , you never know that one day you might be door knocking as you have seen big numbers of Pigeons going on one his fields , I can vouch it can happen .  :good:   Have a good day     MM

50 minutes ago, Westley said:

I am afraid I totally sympathise with the Ranger here. Slightly off topic, but I fish on a United Utilities owned reservoir.  There is a dam at one end, which is CLEARLY and well signposted as NO ENTRY EXCEPT FOR ANGLERS.  This is to try and avoid anyone being injured by backcasting anglers, who may be rightly fishing off the dam. There is a clearly marked public footpath to the side of the dam. I regularly watch 'doggy walkers' and hikers, opening the gates and accessing the dam, totally ignoring the signs on the gate of NO ENTRY. As a member of the angling club, I have tried to reason with these people as to the dangers of walking behind fly fishermen, on many occasions. Only on the very rare occasion will I get an apology, usually it ends as either a total ignoring of the fact I am even there, or a lecture on their viewpoint of "A right to roam"  !   Having spent my entire working life of 50 plus years dealing with Joe Public and the Ranger has my sympathy. 

Unless I'm mistaken, walkedup had a right to walk were he was, where as in your example the dog walkers didn't?

1 hour ago, Westley said:

I have come to the opinion that the general public are ****s.

The internet is a great place for venting but it is always good to get a range of views to help oneself learn, a sort of post mortem or debrief analysis. In the discourse that follows there is a fine balance between a bear pit and an echo chamber, this forum does a good job of that. Challenging views in a supportive yet friendly manner. I appreciate all the opinions given.