Wildfowling gun

studley

Hi all,

I'm on the look out for a usable old english wildfowling gun. 

Specs as follows:

- English made (Thomas bland/Tolley/Webley etc)

- 12 bore (boxlock or hammer)

- 30 inch barrels

- 2/34 inch chamber 

- more recent proof preferable 

If you have anything matching I would be keen to hear from you

Thanks 

Gustav has two Tolley altros on Guntrader at the moment both £400 (Gryphon sporting i think ) you will probably find more traditional English fowling guns with a 3 inch chamber than 2 3/4 .

8 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Hello STUDLEY. Holt's Online Only Sale is crammed full with boxlock non-ejector guns by British makers from just but £1!

True literally hundreds they cant give them away (some are a bit rough mind)  

9 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Well it’s sat there doing nothing raid your piggy bank and come and try it haven’t used it since I got my anson live pigeon gun 😊

Unfortunately I emptied it for another gun from here. I will replenish it and ask you if you still have it later in the year. 
👍

Years ago and I have no idea where it is...it was disposed of through Gavin Gardiner...I had a 3" Midland boxlock ejector with 32" barrels. Choked 1/2 and 1/2.

The problem was the stock had so much drop you'd think it was made for goose to use not made for using against geese! And when I extended the stock to fit me it just, only, with about an inch to spare fitted in my gun cabinet. So it got sold. But, yes, it was a classic, made in 1957, British duck gun in the style of Colin Willock's ideal.

Here you are. I bought it out of Weller and Dufty. It sold at Gavin's for £750.

http://gavingardiner.com/BidCat/detail.asp?SaleRef=0006&LotRef=323

Edited by enfieldspares

On 30/09/2023 at 14:32, Old farrier said:

Got a 3 inch proof for 1.1/2 live pigeon gun 

willian evans pall mall london 

heavily built 

Non ejector choke 1/2….3/4 

30 inch barrels 

proberably to far for you 

£400 

Thanks for the quick response old farrier, I think the distance and the other guns mentioned having preferred chokes i will leave it for the others showing interest 😀 

7 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Years ago and I have no idea where it is...it was disposed of through Gavin Gardiner...I had a 3" Midland boxlock ejector with 32" barrels. Choked 1/2 and 1/2.

The problem was the stock had so much drop you'd think it was made for goose to use not made for using against geese! And when I extended the stock to fit me it just, only, with about an inch to spare fitted in my gun cabinet. So it got sold. But, yes, it was a classic, made in 1957, British duck gun in the style of Colin Willock's ideal.

Here you are. I bought it out of Weller and Dufty. It sold at Gavin's for £750.

http://gavingardiner.com/BidCat/detail.asp?SaleRef=0006&LotRef=323

Certainly look a nice gun and made for the job , one of the best guns I used in my peak wildfowling years was a Midland , mine had a full pistol grip , 32 inch barrels and bored full and full and I never touched the chokes .

Would your gun make that sort of money today ? :hmm:

1 minute ago, enfieldspares said:

Sad to say but I'd reckon maybe half of what it made back then? I regret to say!

I thought about the same but I didn't like to say in case I was way off , sad state of affairs , I bought a T Wild , 12g , 30 inch barrels in 2 3/4 last year from an auction which was in mint condition and look as if it had never had a shot fired through it , it started off at £100 and nobody except me bidded for it , the seller might have had a £200 reserve on it as I ended up the winning bidder on £200 , I know very little about the price of guns but I had seen guns in that condition in gun shops a few years back and I doubt I would had bought one under £5 / 600 , now it would be worth less than I paid , not that I am bothered as I am very happy with it and to me it was a bargain :good:

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

I thought about the same but I didn't like to say in case I was way off , sad state of affairs , I bought a T Wild , 12g , 30 inch barrels in 2 3/4 last year from an auction which was in mint condition and look as if it had never had a shot fired through it , it started off at £100 and nobody except me bidded for it , the seller might have had a £200 reserve on it as I ended up the winning bidder on £200 , I know very little about the price of guns but I had seen guns in that condition in gun shops a few years back and I doubt I would had bought one under £5 / 600 , now it would be worth less than I paid , not that I am bothered as I am very happy with it and to me it was a bargain :good:

I think you are about spot on. Sadly. As I have said here on PW or if not elsewhere on another Forum this. I sold my single 12 bore Boss SLE in 2019 (when BASC made their announcement on lead shot) for what money (despite taking a loss on its price in 2014) now in 2023 I could buy a pair of 12 bore Boss SLE for. Values of English 2 1/2" chambered guns, regardless of maker are now at least nearly half or two thirds of what those guns were making ten years ago.

Edited by enfieldspares

W.W.Greener

12G Facile Princeps 'Far Killer' built on a heavy action.

30"

3" Chamber

Non ejector

Cased!

It's in the borders but I do travel south.

Loaded with 42g 3s the Geese don't like it!

GBS

Edited by GBS

Not English but this. A likely special order AYA No4. 

This is likely, possibly, a one off or special order AYA No4 boxlock ejector that has thirty inch barrels and a pistol grip. It sounds similar to the one mentioned in this video at 1:30 or thereabouts. Who knows!

https://youtu.be/iVLs-MZAT1E

This one also is low in the comb being about 1 3/4" at face and about 2 3/4" at heel with an overall length of pull to centre from front trigger of 14 1/2" to the back of its typical for period AYA black plastic buttplate. The gun was at some time fitted with sling swivels but the fitment for these on the barrel has been removed and blended over and the hole in the butt (near to the usual inlaid unengraved gold colour oval) plugged.

Here's some pictures of the one I have and wish to sell as I've now acquired a factory longstock No4 (albeit with but twenty-eight inch barrels) so this thirty inch barrel gun is surplus to my needs. The forend is the typical No4 "splinter" type not the "beavertail" found on the AYA Matador.

This is a pleasing gun retaining some slight colour to its action but could maybe at some future time benefit from a reblack to its barrels. When made it was nominally choked at likely 1/4 and 3/4 but may have been later opened out? I don't have a choke measuring device so can only say what is stamped on the gun.

Cash on collection £350 or sensible reasonable offers near Leicester M1 J21A use postcode LE9 2AL for a rough location. Valid SGC only to be shown on arrival and before viewing and, with regret, the gun cannot be couriered or sent via RFD to RFD. I am however for those coming midweek but fifteen minutes away from Normanton Shooting Ground off the A47 at Thurlaston.

Please PM me here and also reply by PM. A part box of twenty Eley Bismuth 12 bore cartridges (likely to be 1 1/8 ounce #5bi but not guaranteed) of some sort or other will be given to the buyer for those with an urgent need to use it on wildfowl that same day. I am available most weekdays and weekends.

01010180.JPG

01010181.JPG

01010184.JPG

Edited by enfieldspares