H.S. 2

scouser

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesnt really affect me in any way other than my contribution as a tax payer.  However, if as someone else suggested, the next leg is already being built would it not be wiser to get it finished and not end up as a white elephant?  My only other concern is how deep are the pockets of those who will have to pay the high fares?  And high they will be.

Pushkin:good:

Edited by Pushkin
Spelling errors and mistatkes

16 minutes ago, Pushkin said:

It doesnt really affect me in any way other than my contribution as a tax payer.

+1

16 minutes ago, Pushkin said:

My only other concern is how deep are the pockets of those who will have to pay the high fares?  And high they will be.

I think there are two questions;

1. The costs (as above) where they will be competing with 'standard' rail and air or possibly road, but remember most business travel is 'on expenses'.  Current air fares can be very cheap, but like standard rail, there are a mass of different prices based on time of day, day/date, and how long before you book (plus for air, luggage). 
  2. The time of travel 'door to door'.  Most people will be travelling from say home to a business premises.  First you have to get from 'home' to the station/airport and if travelling by own car, park (and pay for parking).  In the case of air, there is a minimum check in time.  Then on arrival you have to get from the station/airport to your actual destination.  This may well take considerably longer than the actual main journey in some cases.  It is also more expense.  Being at your destination on time is of great importance for business travel.

I am retired, but when travelling for business (i.e. I was reimbursed for travel expenses as many will be) in the past, the time taken and 'convenience' were the key factors.  My business travel in the UK used to consist of London, or a variety of other places, outside cities and apart from London mostly offering parking.  London was by train as a 'no brainer'.  Although our Cotswold line trains are slow and frequent stopping, the travel into London is miles of queues and then parking was always a gamble.  Outside London, Bristol and Birmingham were possible by train, but much depended on where in the city you needed to be.  If on the outskirts and parking was available, then car was much easier.  Anywhere else was always easier by car.

HS2 will have to be timely and convenient; will that actually happen?