Internet problem

steve_b_wales

I had an issue with the fridge freezer in my garage which 'tripped' out the consumer unit. That has now been sorted, but my desktop computer which is connected to the router via the house wiring (I'm not sure what the plugs are called) and now when I try to access the internet, a message on the screen states, 'The application failed to start because it's side-by-side configuration is incorrect. 

I am typing this message using my laptop which is using the WiFi signal. Does anyone have an idea how I can fix this issue please?

13 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Steve. I think I have the same gizmo. , it uses the socket. Ringmain to get the router. Single to your desktop . The modem has a cable. That goes t o your 13 amp. Socket. Then you have a socket in another. Room. , with cable to your desktop. Is this correct .

Yes

I've just unplugged the WiFi plugs and then put them back in, but still the same problem.

Just now, old'un said:

what OS are you using and what are you trying to load when you get this message?

I think it's the old 8:0 system. I cannot get any internet on the computer and also any programs (Facebook, Pigeonwatch) etc also won't start as they are obviously dependant on the Internet. I don't know what the hell has caused this? I've had problems with electrical items failing and causing the consumer unit to switch off, but it's never caused a problem with the computer. My laptop, which I am using now is okay, it's just the desktop.

9 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I've just unplugged the WiFi plugs and then put them back in, but still the same problem.

I think it's the old 8:0 system. I cannot get any internet on the computer and also any programs (Facebook, Pigeonwatch) etc also won't start as they are obviously dependant on the Internet. I don't know what the hell has caused this? I've had problems with electrical items failing and causing the consumer unit to switch off, but it's never caused a problem with the computer. My laptop, which I am using now is okay, it's just the desktop.

Try here

https://www.google.com/search?q=pairing+ethernet+plugs&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB1015GB1015&oq=pair+network+plugs&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqCAgBEAAYFhgeMgYIABBFGDkyCAgBEAAYFhge0gEKMTk2ODVqMGoxNagCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_6SkoZdrwKdGFhbIPuPmvoAo_37

53 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

I've just followed the instructions to reset the links and the problem still remains.

Just now, steve_b_wales said:

I've just followed the instructions to reset the links and the problem still remains.

The model TP Link I'm using is TL-PA4010

Steve try this plug your lap top into the  same lead you are using on your desk top I forget what the call the connection. But your laptop should have one .

This will tell if the gismo is faulty  you will have to go into setting. , it's a while since I have used a OC or laptop .

I find life a lot easier  using. Tablets  these days 

Steve, I don't believe its your TP power-line plug but possible a corrupt file when Chrome is loading hence the fault saying 'The application failed to start because it's side-by-side configuration is incorrect. The key word is “application” meaning app, which chrome is a app,

havent got time right now to talk you through it but if you google….'The application failed to start because it's side-by-side configuration is incorrect’ you will get plenty of info on how to-do it.

Good luck.

12 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Are the link lights on on the desktop and the router?

Yes, they are showing that they have paired up.

12 hours ago, johnphilip said:

Steve try this plug your lap top into the  same lead you are using on your desk top I forget what the call the connection. But your laptop should have one .

This will tell if the gismo is faulty  you will have to go into setting. , it's a while since I have used a OC or laptop .

I find life a lot easier  using. Tablets  these days 

The problem I have there is that the laptop connected to the internet via WiFi and the desktop is connected via an ethernet cable. The TP Link plugs appear to be working correctly.

45 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

I don't mean on the powerline adaptors, I mean on the actual PC and router.

There should be lights to show it has a connection on both.

I understand. I have to go out for a few hours now but will try later. Also, I'm hoping that my daughter can call up to take a look at it. I ahve tried to do a System Restore on the computer but can't get this to work.