'Chamber Matching' steel shot

PeterHenry

Does anyone have any practical experience with the above?

Is it necessary to only use steel cartridges of the same length as the guns chambers? Or is it only necessary if using hp steel? Or is it nonsense?

My Browning special waterfowl (that predates 2 1/2" steel cartridges) says for use with 2 3/4", 3" and 3 1/2" - NOT 2 1/2" - so I presume extreme differences in chambers lengths have been known to be an issue before? Or would that be more of an issue re pressure, as opposed to one causing damage to the end of the chambers?

On the wildfowling front I have used 3” hp steel in a 3.5” chamber without ill effect. I have also not heard of any of my pals who use these or shorter cartridges seeing any damage around the chamber. Practically, if the wad does it’s job and protects the barrels from the shot column I find it difficult to see why damage should arise.

in Canada when shooting the snow geese the benellis fire thousands of 3” cases each season without damage but I look forward to hearing the experience of others.

As best I understand it, chamber mis-matching means that the wad will be unsupported for half an inch (if firing a 3 inch cart in a 3.5 inch chamber), and so will attempt to expand to fill the void. In doing so, the petals will move further apart and could create sufficient space in the slit portion for a pellet to scrub the bore. 

This would suggest that smaller shot has greater potential to score the chambers, given that it's easier for smaller shot to slip in between the petals and make contact with the bore. Larger sizes, counterintuitively, would be less able to slip between the petals. 

There have been a number of interesting and practical articles in Sporting Gun about steel shot and chamber matching is one conclusion I have drawn from reading them.

Richard Atkins is the author. 

Having a 3" chamber in my 525 which is chiefly used for clays, 3.5" in my auto, and 70mm in my game guns may make this a bit of a PITA! 

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/author/richardatkins/