Rust and pitting or not?

1Ab

No the crackle finish shown in the post by OLD-UN is correct for these later A-5 guns with the square ended pistol grip. Indeed I had one such myself! The blued finish is also correct and seen usually right up into the 1960s. Like this one, a 1963 gun, that I own.

You then get the variations such as the Light Twelve and the Sweet Sixteen. Which are the respective names for the lightweight A-5 guns.

And despite the British man on the internet (who thinks he knows but he doesn't know) the 16 gauge A-5 was available in a "standard" weight and in a lightweight. Only the lightweight was correctly called (and engraved on the receiver as such) as the Sweet Sixteen. The American man on the internet who does know has a video on the difference.

Think of the Light Twelve and the Sweet Sixteen as standard guns that have had non critical metal (or hidden wood under the buttplate) milled or drilled away to reduce weight. 

BUT BACK TO 1AB AND HIS POST. IF THE PISTOL GRIP IS SQUARE AND THE SERIAL NUMBER INDICATES LATE 1960s OR 1970S GUN THAT'S THIS CRACKLING. IF THE GUN ISN'T THEN THAT'S PITTING. ON ALL THE CRACKLING FINISH GUNS I HAVE SEEN THE FINISH IS EVEN LIKE IN THE OLD'UN PICTURE.

Now guns made after the mid-1950s will have the Speed Load feature. How do you tell visually? The bottom plate will be two piece and when the "bolt" is fully back and the gun empty you will be able still to push that plate upwards. See here:

A51963.jpg.dd23624ffb2d39645ebc7a86baacd740.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares

35 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

No the crackle finish shown in the post by OLD-UN is correct for these later A-5 guns with the square ended pistol grip. Indeed I had one such myself! The blued finish is also correct and seen usually right up into the 1960s. Like this one, a 1963 gun, that I own.

You then get the variations such as the Light Twelve and the Sweet Sixteen. Which are the respective names for the lightweight A-5 guns.

And despite the British man on the internet (who thinks he knows but he doesn't know) the 16 gauge A-5 was available in a "standard" weight and in a lightweight. Only the lightweight was correctly called (and engraved on the receiver as such) as the Sweet Sixteen. The American man on the internet who does know has a video on the difference.

Think of the Light Twelve and the Sweet Sixteen as standard guns that have had non critical metal (or hidden wood under the buttplate) milled or drilled away to reduce weight. 

BUT BACK TO 1AB AND HIS POST. IF THE PISTOL GRIP IS SQUARE AND THE SERIAL NUMBER INDICATES LATE 1960s OR 1970S GUN THAT'S THIS CRACKLING. IF THE GUN ISN'T THEN THAT'S PITTING. ON ALL THE CRACKLING FINISH GUNS I HAVE SEEN THE FINISH IS EVEN LIKE IN THE OLD'UN PICTURE.

Now guns made after the mid-1950s will have the Speed Load feature. How do you tell visually? The bottom plate will be two piece and when the "bolt" is fully back and the gun empty you will be able still to push that plate upwards. See here:

A51963.jpg.dd23624ffb2d39645ebc7a86baacd740.jpg

Thanks for the information I appreciate it.